Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Intro to manual flash

I've been playing around with my 540 with old manual glass, and often fart around trial and error, but I have had to send my body in for some maintenance, and have considered using the big flash on my ME Super - so I started digging for info. I've read Bryan Petersons Understanding Flash Photography. It was OK, but a little soft on the calculations. I came across this video on Youtube that I thought some otner neophyte could benefit from so I'm posting here.

12-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

The 540 also has a useful A mode that should work with any camera. Set the ISO, set the aperture, fire away.
12-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The A mode seems to work ok with my K-x, M glass and 540 combo, provided the distance to image is reasonable (eg I don't think the A mode can control the flash well enough at macro type distances).

The on-camera flash can be quite reasonable as well as a fully manual flash and with a GN of 13, maths is simple. One metre equals F13, 2 metres equals F6.5 at ISO 100. In practice, I take a test shot and view the histogram and fine tune aperture as needed.

This was a couple of metres distance and worked well, using the 540 on A mode and as a bounce off the ceiling. Lens was a M85 2.0

This was using the on-board flash outdoors, again with the M85:

12-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With manual flash, if you don't have a light meter, just use a gray card. When the spike is in the center, you have proper exposure. Of course a light meter takes all the guesswork out, and a good one will even tell you your ratio of flash to ambient.

12-04-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
With manual flash, if you don't have a light meter, just use a gray card. When the spike is in the center, you have proper exposure. Of course a light meter takes all the guesswork out, and a good one will even tell you your ratio of flash to ambient.
I've been looking for a decent older flash meter for a reasonable price. I can't afford a new Sekonic, but I don't want to go with the cheap Chinese ones on the market. Does anyone know about the old Minolta meters?
12-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A great introduction (longer than this) is the Strobist blog. check it out!
12-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sekonic, Gossen, Polaris and Minolta all make good meters. Be sure though to get an incident meter capable of metering flash. Some of the old analog meters will only measure continuous light sources.

Though they are pricy, the Sekonic meters have a function the shows you the ratio of flash to ambient expressed as a percentage, which is a huge time saver when doing environmental portraits. You just take one test shot, and just roll the jog wheel until you get the ratio you want, like say 30% flash to ambient, and then set that aperture and shutter speed on your camera and every shot comes out perfect.

I own the granddaddy, the 758 DR, which I use on digital, but also on film for executing the Zone system; I can't praise it highly enough, it cuts my post production time dramatically. But if you're looking for something that won't break the bank, the Sekonic 358 has most of the features of it's big brother but at a fraction of the price (mainly just the spot meter functions are missing). You also see a lot of these for sale on the used market which makes them an insanely good deal.