Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Video Light for Still Photography

I have been looking into continuous lighting options, either for mounting on a hot shoe or, off camera and I wondered if anyone had experience with any of the various LED panels that are out there. Looks like you can spend anywhere from 30 to 500 dollars (probably more) on one of these. Anyway, any input is appreciated.

12-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a pair of these Fotodiox-branded 209 LED, dimmable, color-temp adjustable lamps, but not at that price! They are ~$129 on Amazon.com from the same company...

So far, I'm pretty happy with them. The fact that I can adjust the light intensity and color (without physically moving them) and see the results and the effect on my metering in real time, is SO much easier than flash guns and diffusers and experimenting. Of course, you won't get anywhere near the light output levels of a flash-based system, but these units are small ones (5"x7") and LEDs in general don't have the "throw" that a flash does.

I was also leery of the eBay, shipped-from-china, $70 units with a similar # of LED lamps. Even though I know I could find "reviews" of them here and there, and that my Fotodiox units were probably made in the same factory, I prefer the fact that Fotodiox ships from Waukegan, IL, and has a 1-800 for support and returns, etc.

Another (bigger) reason for buying the Fotodiox LED panels was this sale they were having for "the backpack kit" of two of the 209AS units (which include Li-ion batteries, chargers, a case, and hotshoe ballheads), bundled with an adjustable light arm, clamp, and a big reflector panel, for not much more than their "retail" price of one unit. I was on the fence with a whole bunch of "watched items" on eBay, and when I saw this I decided to go for it.

Anyhow, my "mini review" of the LED panels themselves is that they are built a lot better than I expected (but still mainly hollow plastic), and have effective rheostats for both dimmable intensity (roughly 50%-100%, even though it says "10%" - please, they're LEDs not tungsten!), and a knob to control the "color temperature" of the whole unit by dimming either the warm (tungsten) LEDs, or the cool (daylight) LEDs in the array. That's why they look like alternating rows of yellow and white lights - it's bi-colored. What this means is that if you go all one temp or the other, you're at about 50% light output anyhow. So the units pump out less light than an all-white 209 LED panel (Fotodiox 209A) would, but are still plenty bright for things within 5-7 feet of the panel, and the temp control allows me to match the ambient.

A few nice things about these Fotodiox units that other ones I looked at didn't have: the a decent, rechargeable Li-ion battery is included (with charger and cables), and there is a "battery test" button/lights on the back; the charger's AC adapter can be directly connected to the light for longer run-time; the case has locking connector slots on the edges to "snap together" more than one light into a bigger, single panel; the included soft case is a handy place to store the unit and accessories when not in use.

Because I bought their "backpack bundle" early on, the folks at Fotodiox also threw in a free "120A" mini-LED panel, which is about 3"x3" and has a built-in battery. This little thing is perfect for my Q and doing little videos around the house! I think they are normally around $60...

One note on LED lights in general: they need serious diffusion to get rid of the "row of bulbs" reflections in very shiny objects, and as I mentioned, they are very bright when close-up and almost painful to look at for human subjects. Definitely don't plan on mounting them to the hotshoe and shooting portraits - you will get nothing but squints and the sides of heads! Hold them off to the side or point at a wall or ceiling...

"Row of bulbs" reflections:

Last edited by panoguy; 12-06-2012 at 08:37 AM.
12-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I bought a pair of these Fotodiox-branded 209 LED, dimmable, color-temp adjustable lamps, but not at that price! They are ~$129 on Amazon.com from the same company...

So far, I'm pretty happy with them. The fact that I can adjust the light intensity and color (without physically moving them) and see the results and the effect on my metering in real time, is SO much easier than flash guns and diffusers and experimenting. Of course, you won't get anywhere near the light output levels of a flash-based system, but these units are small ones (5"x7") and LEDs in general don't have the "throw" that a flash does.

I was also leery of the eBay, shipped-from-china, $70 units with a similar # of LED lamps. Even though I know I could find "reviews" of them here and there, and that my Fotodiox units were probably made in the same factory, I prefer the fact that Fotodiox ships from Waukegan, IL, and has a 1-800 for support and returns, etc.

Another (bigger) reason for buying the Fotodiox LED panels was this sale they were having for "the backpack kit" of two of the 209AS units (which include Li-ion batteries, chargers, a case, and hotshoe ballheads), bundled with an adjustable light arm, clamp, and a big reflector panel, for not much more than their "retail" price of one unit. I was on the fence with a whole bunch of "watched items" on eBay, and when I saw this I decided to go for it.

Anyhow, my "mini review" of the LED panels themselves is that they are built a lot better than I expected (but still mainly hollow plastic), and have effective rheostats for both dimmable intensity (roughly 50%-100%, even though it says "10%" - please, they're LEDs not tungsten!), and a knob to control the "color temperature" of the whole unit by dimming either the warm (tungsten) LEDs, or the cool (daylight) LEDs in the array. That's why they look like alternating rows of yellow and white lights - it's bi-colored. What this means is that if you go all one temp or the other, you're at about 50% light output anyhow. So the units pump out less light than an all-white 209 LED panel (Fotodiox 209A) would, but are still plenty bright for things within 5-7 feet of the panel, and the temp control allows me to match the ambient.

A few nice things about these Fotodiox units that other ones I looked at didn't have: the a decent, rechargeable Li-ion battery is included (with charger and cables), and there is a "battery test" button/lights on the back; the charger's AC adapter can be directly connected to the light for longer run-time; the case has locking connector slots on the edges to "snap together" more than one light into a bigger, single panel; the included soft case is a handy place to store the unit and accessories when not in use.

Because I bought their "backpack bundle" early on, the folks at Fotodiox also threw in a free "120A" mini-LED panel, which is about 3"x3" and has a built-in battery. This little thing is perfect for my Q and doing little videos around the house! I think they are normally around $60...

One note on LED lights in general: they need serious diffusion to get rid of the "row of bulbs" reflections in very shiny objects, and as I mentioned, they are very bright when close-up and almost painful to look at for human subjects. Definitely don't plan on mounting them to the hotshoe and shooting portraits - you will get nothing but squints and the sides of heads! Hold them off to the side or point at a wall or ceiling...

"Row of bulbs" reflections:
Thanks. Yeah, I think definitely using something like this off camera -- maybe mixing with window light -- is what I am looking for. I don't particularly want to blind anyone and LED lights do seem pretty bright, without a whole lot of range.