Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do I trigger this Sunpak 522 wirelessly?

Okay, so I'm looking to trigger my Sunpak 522 wirelessly... I've seen hot-shoe flash triggers from (MANY) various brands and models, but my issue with this flash is that it isn't a hot-shoe flash. It is triggered by the sync cable (which neither K-30 nor K-01 have).

So, before my head explodes from all the different radio trigger options out there; can someone tell me if I'll need to look for some sort of special trigger because this isn't going to work with a hot-shoe one? Or is there a way that it will work, but I'll need to buy some additional sync cords or something?

(really, I'm clueless when it comes to flash off-camera... but I'd love to learn and take advantage of this Sunpak that I have on my hands...)

Here are photos showing what I have. When using this set-up, I'm able to fire the flash with my K1000 and all the manuals/controls on the flash work.

(And of course, I'm wanting to use this flash with my digital cams (K-30 and K-01) wirelessly.)

Thanks!

01-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I know the cheap chinese PT-04 receivers have that type of PC sync port on them. A lot of them have a jack on the receiver so you can buy or make a cable to fit your needs. You could also just get a hotshoe to PC sync port adapter, which will work on any trigger and also your camera.

I assume you have checked the voltage of the flash and it is safe for a digital camera, correct?
01-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your second photo shows what is called a PC connection or cable so you have three choices:

Use a cable with that connector if your camera has one. K-5 does but I do not know about k-30 or k-01
Use a hot shoe adapter that has the PC connection on it like this: Adorama G440 Hot Shoe to PC Adaptr, Single Outlet G440 (I just grabbed that from a quick search, lots of other ones available)
Use a set of radio triggers where the receiver has a PC connection or at least a connection that can fit an adapter.

You should check to make sure the voltage is OK on that flash for digital. Will not matter if you use radio triggers but be cautious with direct connections.
01-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I know the cheap chinese PT-04 receivers have that type of PC sync port on them. A lot of them have a jack on the receiver so you can buy or make a cable to fit your needs. You could also just get a hotshoe to PC sync port adapter, which will work on any trigger and also your camera.

I assume you have checked the voltage of the flash and it is safe for a digital camera, correct?
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Your second photo shows what is called a PC connection or cable so you have three choices:

Use a cable with that connector if your camera has one. K-5 does but I do not know about k-30 or k-01
Use a hot shoe adapter that has the PC connection on it like this: Adorama G440 Hot Shoe to PC Adaptr, Single Outlet G440 (I just grabbed that from a quick search, lots of other ones available)
Use a set of radio triggers where the receiver has a PC connection or at least a connection that can fit an adapter.

You should check to make sure the voltage is OK on that flash for digital. Will not matter if you use radio triggers but be cautious with direct connections.
Thanks, both of you!

So looks like I'll need one of those hot shoe adapters and radio triggers and I'll be set.

Voltage doesn't matter, as I won't be using it directly, only wirelessly with the triggers.
I've got a different flash that I use on hot-shoe with a safe voltage.

Thanks again for guiding me in the right direction.

01-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Voltage doesn't matter, as I won't be using it directly, only wirelessly with the triggers.
I've got a different flash that I use on hot-shoe with a safe voltage.
You can still kill some wireless triggers, I know the Yongnuo RF-602 doesn't like high voltage flashes, I killed one of those.
01-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
You can still kill some wireless triggers, I know the Yongnuo RF-602 doesn't like high voltage flashes, I killed one of those.
Okay, then thank you for informing me of that; I'll look into it!
01-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I'll look into it!
Look here for a list flash voltages: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

01-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I built a couple of these-

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/58197-diy...safe-sync.html

and use them in between my cheap radio triggers and my Sunpak hammerheads. I bought cables from FlashZebra as I didn't want to chop up the ones I had, and I couldn't find another source for the Sunpak end, or standard sync jacks.