Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #1

Getting my feet wet

As the title implies, I am a starting off as a beginner with flash photography. I have basically utilized natural light indoors or shot outdoors for all the photography that I have done. I figured it was time to get into flash now to broaden my abilities. Being a hobbyists, buying a $300 was not practical, especially since I don't know what avenue I will take with flash photos. When I have a sense, I can upgrade equip. I originally set out to get a TTL flash just for the automation, if that makes sense. Having never tried either a TTL or manual I was pretty clueless without a shooting purpose. I looked into the cheap ones out there, yuogon, opteka, etc. Less than $100 was my range, preferably under $75.

I ended up with an unlikely choice: Photozuela Montana c600 manual speedlight. I received this 2 days ago and just got a chance to try it out last night. Wow what a difference just shooting around my home. Can't see myself using the pop-up again (not that I used it much before). The flash comes with bounce card and "wide angle" reach (?) and few other features which I have yet to discover. I'm waiting on the free diffuser as they forgot to include. I found no reviews relating to its use on a Pentax. Seemed worth a shot to try. I purchased on amazon. Has a good build and very easy to use.

Company with flash info here:
Photozuela Speedlight Montana C600 | Photozuela

01-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Now you just need some wireless triggers and you'll be all set. Many people have good luck with the cheap PT-04 triggers sold under many brands, I have some Yongnuo RF-602s, but I don't recommend them.
01-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Now you just need some wireless triggers and you'll be all set. Many people have good luck with the cheap PT-04 triggers sold under many brands, I have some Yongnuo RF-602s, but I don't recommend them.
Yup that may be in the distant horizon. For now, just getting acquainted with it's use on hot-shoe. Not exactly a portrait type of photographer nor will I be doing macro or studio work. We shall see..
01-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in the same situation as you. I have tried to learn and enjoyed photography mostly shooting with available and ambient light. Recently my sister just had one of her many wedding events and even though my ambient shots came out acceptable I felt a flash would have helped a lot. So I decided to get my feet wet as well and get the flash in time to learn it before the next event. I just ordered by flash unit which I'm hoping will arrive tomorrow. In the meantime I've been reading up on basics of lighting principles and flash photography. This site helped me quite a bit today. Even though he focuses a lot on off camera setup the lighting principles still apply. I hope this will be helpful to you. Strobist: Lighting 101 .

From one beginner of flash photography to another beginner, let me/us know what you learn. Perhaps I will pickup some tips from you as well. Good luck.

01-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #5

Original Poster
Much thanks. To be honest, I had seen the link you posted before but was intimidated by my knowledge on flashes & lighting (or lack there of). After getting my flash and reading around forum I went into link and its really not that bad. I will dive into it further as my experience grows a lil. I feel like I openned a new can of worms.. Haha