Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
One of the reasons why I buy all of my studio flash equipment from brick and mortar stores.
While that would be the perfect solution, it is impossible for me. The nearest B&M store is 265 miles away to the east or 320 miles to the west.

So, I have to be a pain and ask lots of questions to find the right equipment.

01-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
HSV
Veteran Member

I'm also in the process of buying 2 light stands.

If comparing the Manfrotto nano and the Lumopro mentioned above (I need them to pack as small as possible), which of the two is the sturdiest?

Thanks in advance.
01-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
If comparing the Manfrotto nano and the Lumopro mentioned above (I need them to pack as small as possible), which of the two is the sturdiest?
having handled the Manfrotto 1052BAC stands in a brick and mortar shop I can say they are very sturdy, and they pack flat. They also have a useful feature that they can be stacked tightly together. It is always important to not the maximum weight capacity of the stands - at 5Kg, for safeties sake it would be wise to only load them to 50%~75% capacity. If you overburden them, then they could develop wear on important parts or it could impair stability which could cause problems.
01-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got a couple of light stands, flash mount and umbrella combo for under 35 dollars from Meking studio (fleabay), it is quite good for my needs; not super sturdy but adequate for indoor use without breaking the bank. It is also very portable too.

01-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
I'm also in the process of buying 2 light stands.

Thanks in advance.
Here's a comparison Strobist: Finally, A Little Compact Stand Competition (the current models are only slightly different than this link). Their size is pretty identical. I've seen a few reviews claiming the lumopro feels slightly sturdier, but the manfrotto nano (the one I have) feels pretty darn good to me and I can't see it giving out anytime soon provided you don't try to overload it with booms and giant strobes. It's rated at holding 1.5kg, so keep that in mind.

I've never handled the Manfrotto 1052BAC mentioned above, but the flat stacking seems pretty cool Nevada's #1 Pro Photographic Dealer: MANFROTTO 1052 BAC 3 stand set They're much longer than the nano when collapsed but obviously would be sturdier at the cost of size (they're also a little heavier).
01-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The best economical light stand!? Build your own out of PVC .
01-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
The best economical light stand!? Build your own out of PVC .
That may be the MOST economical, but is it the best?

01-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
That may be the MOST economical, but is it the best?
Why wouldn't be!?
You can make it in any shape you want, you can take it apart when you don't need it and store it away, is stable if done properly, is sturdy and almost for nothing!?
You can even paint it to give it more "flair"

And if you break one who's going to cry for it!? Takes 10 minutes to build another one (once you have the parts).

I have 2 stands like that and they never disappointed me so far ...
Mind you I didn't paint mine, I just wrapped it in hokey tape and looks amazing (from my point of view).