Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good economical light stands??

Since there are a lot of light stands on the market, I am looking for recomendations from forum members here. I want something that I am not going to have to replace in a year but I don't need it to last through a nuclear attack, if you know what I mean Also, if there are other things I need to be on the lookout for feel free to add your suggestions here.

01-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have been finding some compact and easy to transport alternatives for my regular studio stands myself, while I'm going for the heavier 1004BAC stands, the 1052BAC compact lightweight air-cushioned stands from manfrotto should do the trick. These would be excellent for strobist work - but if you are planning on using studio monobloc heads, I would invest in something with a wider leg spread and greater weight capacity.
01-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you're looking for a light stand for OCF using speedlights, then I highly recommend Midwest Photo Exchange LumoPro LP605 7ft. Compact Light Stand. I have 3 or 4 of these, and they are great. Compact, easy to transport, and the legs have spikes that can be driven into soft ground for outdoor use. Don't know if this light stand is available in your neck of the woods, though.

If you're looking for a light stand for studio flash, you will want an air-cushioned stand.
01-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The cheapest package I've found is the Westcott kit that includes a reflective/passthrough umbrella, the stand (8 feet I believe) and the flash bracket. I believe I paid 70$ canadians for the package, from Henry's.

Otherwise, if you have a tall tripod, just go to Dealextreme andd get a flash bracket that screws on a tripod head (1/4 screw) for less than 10$, and you'll be all set.

01-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

what will you be mounting on these stands? Reflectors? Monolight? OCF? Umbrella? Softbox? If softbox, which sizes are you preparing for?

Might make a difference .....
01-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have 2 of these Midwest Photo Exchange Interfit 7.5ft Air Cushioned Light Stand they're extremely sturdy for my use- small speedlights sometimes with a small boom arm for speedlights. I also have a couple of the more expensive Manfrotto 5001B Nano Black Light Stand - 6.2' (1.9m) 5001B B&H (similar to the lumopro 605 linked to above) that are also nice and sturdy but I wouldn't put much more than a speedlight with umbrella or other light modifier on them. $50 still seems like a good deal since they are very well made and will probably last longer than I will.

What you plan to put on the stand is important. How high (or low) you need the stand to go is important. How portable you need the stand to be is also important.
01-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Following along here as I am in the market for one more stand so I have a pair to work with.

My use would be for a speedlight and 16" softbox. I would also like to hear about a small boom as BrianR said about. I would like a small boom for the same speedlight/sofbox, but don't want to spend $75 for the dedicated boom/stands I've found so far.

01-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I know that Interfit makes a small boom arm. I don't have one but I know it can be found at mpex.com and probably B&H as well. Would probably work fine with the LumoPro stand I linked to in an earlier post.
01-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a couple of Flashpoint (Adorama house brand) cheap stands that are fine for a flash or flash+umbrella if there isn't any wind. They seem to do the trick nicely without costing much or being complicated.
01-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for these suggestions so far. My use at this point is going to be speedlights, radio triggers and umbrellas but down the road I think I would like to end up with some strobes also. I want the option of going taller with these so tripods are out of the question I think based on cost alone. I do want to play around with softboxes but I'm not sure what size yet.
01-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Following along here as I am in the market for one more stand so I have a pair to work with.

My use would be for a speedlight and 16" softbox. I would also like to hear about a small boom as BrianR said about. I would like a small boom for the same speedlight/sofbox, but don't want to spend $75 for the dedicated boom/stands I've found so far.
I have one of these Photoflex Telescopic Litedisc Holder - 36-67" DL-BHOLDER I had wanted the slightly smaller Impact Telescopic Collapsible Reflector Holder 1103 B&H Photo but at the time I ordered the Impact one was out of stock.

The Photoflex works great on the Interfit stand I linked to above, but I'm hesitant to use it on the Manfrotto Nanos (the LumoPro LP605 linked above is a copy of the Nano that some say is sturdier). This boom/reflector holder has a hole to hook a counter balance on (always a good idea with an extended boom) and you need an adapter to attach a flash to the end as it only has a male 5/8" spigot at the end (no thread). An umbrella swivel works for this. While not as big and heavy as booms made to hold big monolights, it's hefty enough that I only travel with it when I'm sure I'll be using it and it works great with a speedlight+umbrella.

When shopping around be sure to search for 'reflector holder' as well as 'boom arm' as the main purpose of some of these is for reflectors even though they're suitable as smaller booms. Not all reflector holders can be used as boom arms for a flash though.

Having spent a few years wedging flashes between rocks or book cases or whatever was nearby I'm so much happier having spent a few bucks on some basic lighting support gear. The stands and boom arm above, and a couple of superclamps make positioning lights securely fast and easy. Remember when budgeting that stuff like this never becomes obsolete, and my only regret I have is that I didn't buy them earlier
01-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for that info Brian.

While I was looking at the dedicated boom stands, I think they are just too big for my needs. I don't have a dedicated studio - just setup temporarily in a room in the winter. During the nice months I am outside shooting. I am now looking at getting a pair of super clamps and working with them. My main reason for looking for a boom in the first place is to get my speedlight/softbox overhead of small still life objects. I'm pretty sure I can do this with a super clamp and using what I have around the house.

So as far as my shopping list is concerned, I am looking at 1 additional light stand and a pair of super clamps.

littledrawe - when doing my research on softboxes, the consensus seemed to be that 16" is about as large as you want to go with a speedlight. Any larger than that and there isn't enough light to evenly fill the box. I just bought one of these as my first one - for the price I am quite happy with it. Comes with all the hardware you need to attach to a light stand and hold the flash.

Flashpoint FSB40 16in x 16in Soft Box for Shoe Mount Flash FSB40
01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

the consensus seemed to be that 16" is about as large as you want to go with a speedligh
I disagree with the consensus. My speedlights have no trouble with a 24" softbox.
01-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I disagree with the consensus. My speedlights have no trouble with a 24" softbox.
That's good to know - I was only going by what I've read in different reviews on-line. Makes it difficult to purchase anything without being able to see, feel, and test things out in person.
01-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

was only going by what I've read in different reviews on-line. Makes it difficult to purchase anything without being able to see, feel, and test things out in person.
One of the reasons why I buy all of my studio flash equipment from brick and mortar stores.