Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
TTL Dedicated AF Flash for $39?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Has anyone used this flash? is it any good?

I wanted to uses flash on portrait an in-door photography. The flash will be used on my K10D.

What would you recommended on a cheap flash?

All input will be appreciated.

02-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the "TTL for K10D" part should set off all sorts of warning lights. the K10D does not support TTL flash.
02-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

STOP!
Before even placing a bid on this flash, be aware that I had made the mistake of buying this bogus flash from this same vendor last year to try on my K100D, also thinking it was P-TTL. This flash is TOTALLY misrepresented and the vendor CANNOT be trusted. Not only does the vendor claim the flash is TTL for the K100D/K10D, he/she even goes to the extent of calling it a P-TTL flash!

One thing I can say is that the flash is definitely NOT P-TTL (and for $39 there's no way it would be!), and is as useful on the K100D/K10D as a random light shone at your subject. As mentioned, neither camera supports TTL (only P-TTL), so stay well away from this flash if you want a flash that works. Furthermore, this vendor was quite unhelpful and recalcitrant when it came to answering my concerns about this misrepresented product of his on eBay. I filed a complaint on the product and the vendor, and still eBay continue to permit this guy to have this fraudulent listing on their site...

See the previous thread that outlined my frustration with this flash March last year...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/6255-p-ttl-flash-issues.html

In other words, don't buy it, and save your money either for a reliable Auto flash and use M mode on your K10D, or save even more money and get a 360FGZ or 540FGZ once and for all (which is what I did).
02-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you very much, I almost pulled the trigger. Its too cheap to be true.

03-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #5

Interesting opinions on the $39 flash. For the record I purchased one of the above mentioned flashes (from the same vendor) about two weeks ago. I attached it to my K10D, turned it on and it seemed to work as advertised. I can see the pre-flash in the view finder and the exposures seem to be OK (so long as you do not ask too much of it-it is not the most powerful unit on the market). I bought it because I don't use the flash enough to justify the cost of a really proper one. I have not subjected it to an exhaustive set of tests but at least it is not junk.
03-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hmm? Two users and two different opinions. If the flash really works as advertised in P-TTL mode, I would consider buying it. But now you guys got me confused.
03-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I stand behind my earlier comments - flashes don't need to be P-TTL for the pre-flash to register in the viewfinder.

The few portraits I took with this flash gave me erroneous and inconsistent results - 1 out of 10 was acceptable for me.

Polecat, I don't doubt that the flash has worked for you allright, but I'm interestged to know what mode on the camera you're on, and the settings, and then in what conditions are you shooting with it.

IMO, getting an auto flash with bounce/swivel and manual settings of 1/4, 1/2 and full power is far better than getting a TTL flash for the K10D/K100D (which these bodies don't support).