Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I think you should request the seller to pay shipping both ways. That's my practice: the person who breaks the contract has to bear the cost.

It's not because I'm nice. Because it's the law, at least in CA: if a contract is broken, the party not at fault should at least be in the same position as before the contract is signed.

Before the contract, you have $29.95. The contract is broken by the seller (he ships you defective product). At the end, you should have $29.95 back.

01-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Since you folks are giving me the confidence in these Sunpak flashes, I just bought another one from ebay to see how it goes.

422D from a camera store with the good return policy (30 days and a phone number to call) that says in the description that it was tested. Got it for a very good price also.

Still haven't received my credit from the first one even though the vendor received it last Thursday (3 days ago) - another message to them going out tomorrow for that.

Last edited by stormtech; 01-27-2013 at 03:28 PM.
01-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thought I would update -

Received my refund from the seller - original price plus shipping to me price refunded. There is no way I will get my return shipping covered being that was the term of the sale.

Now I received my second 422D today from a different vendor. Flash works perfectly and looks basically unused including the battery compartment. Very happy with it - to the point I may have this need to collect a couple more. Especially if I can get it like this one for $15.20 shipped to my door!
01-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Now I received my second 422D today from a different vendor. Flash works perfectly and looks basically unused including the battery compartment. Very happy with it - to the point I may have this need to collect a couple more. Especially if I can get it like this one for $15.20 shipped to my door!
I can see symptoms of FBA syndrom

$15 is a very good price. Shipping included is just icing on the cake.

Before you know it, you'll have enough flashes for several lifetimes (I do, at least my wife thinks so).

P.S. I'm having another Metz 54MZ-4 and a Pentax TR-III in transit.

01-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I can see symptoms of FBA syndrom

$15 is a very good price. Shipping included is just icing on the cake.

Before you know it, you'll have enough flashes for several lifetimes (I do, at least my wife thinks so).

P.S. I'm having another Metz 54MZ-4 and a Pentax TR-III in transit.
First LBA, then CBA and GBA - now FBA......oh my!

I must admit thought that I like the build quality of these older flashes - can't wait to put them to work a bit. I have a nice set of triggers coming also this week (1 transmitter & 3 receivers) - I have the need to fill all three of the receivers for some reason.......
01-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #21

Well I'm glad it worked out rather well for you. Sunpaks are great little flash units. Even if you factor in the cost of return shipping on the first unit into the later one you still got a great bargain.

It is easy to see why the 422D remained in production until just a few years ago.
01-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I spoke too soon as I usually do. Was doing a little work with my triggers and the flash this afternoon. Long story shot after trying to get my exposure right, the flash only fires at full power. Selecting the lower power levels does nothing.

Oh well - bad luck again. I pretty much give up. This one will be put in the drawer for if I need something for a dirty job with a full power flash.

01-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was going to congratulate you on getting the flash problem sorted, but after reading your last post.... What bad luck. If you are still in the market for a Sunpak, the Auto 30DX is a good one - basically the European version of the 422D (I think). I picked one up last year for $10 shipped, and it came with the Pentax TTL module so I can use it with my *istD. Very nice, well-built unit. I'm still muddling my way thru the learning process, but no complaints so far.
01-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Well I spoke too soon as I usually do. Was doing a little work with my triggers and the flash this afternoon. Long story shot after trying to get my exposure right, the flash only fires at full power. Selecting the lower power levels does nothing.

Oh well - bad luck again. I pretty much give up. This one will be put in the drawer for if I need something for a dirty job with a full power flash.
Stan,

Are you sure the flash mode slide switch is NOT set at TTL (*)?
01-31-2013, 04:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
the Auto 30DX is a good one - basically the European version of the 422D (I think).
You're correct. 30DX is the European name of the 422D. 36DX is the European name of the 444D.
01-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #26

Stan,

Are you sure the flash mode slide switch is NOT set at TTL (*)?
Right, these units will only fire at full power in TTL mode without the "quench" signal from the camera.

Try re-seating the module too. When using the auto-modes make sure the sensor is not blocked. The sensor should be on the front of the module.
01-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok - thanks for the responses guys - I would certainly like to get this to work. And being unfamiliar and new to these flashes, it did occur to me that it might be something I have set wrong.

I have not tried it on camera at all being I bought it for using exclusively on my triggers.

I tried it in all the different modes after it didn't work in "M" mode by pressing the test button, but could very sell have had my hand over the sensor. I didn't think of that since it was in manual mode.

I did try it in each of the different modes at different power settings, but the output was the same. The way I could tell for sure is that the capacitor recycle time was the same so I am not just trusting my eyes to see the difference.

I'm going to unseat the module and re-seat it, and try it again both with and without the trigger.

Edit to add: I tried the flash in all 4 modes making sure my hand was not over the sensor - still the same. Also tried it in my trigger and same results also. One thing I noticed - on the first flash I had, even though it would only fire once, when in one of the "A" modes, after firing, the "Auto OK" light would light. It never does with this one.

Thanks for the help and support guys - I really appreciate it. Seems a shame to waste all of your time and mine on such a small/cheap thing, but in theory a couple of these Sunpaks would have worked out perfectly for my off camera flash projects I have in my mind.

Last edited by stormtech; 01-31-2013 at 05:58 PM.
01-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Stan,

I bet you the problem is in the module. The flash itself is probably OK.

If you don't have another module to test, please try this:

- Attach the flash to your camera.
- Set the camera to M mode, ISO 100, 1/80 sec and f/5.6.
- Set the flash to M mode.
- In an average room, take test photos at different power settings: Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16.
- Compare the exposures of the photos and post back.

Thanks.
02-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stan,

I bet you the problem is in the module. The flash itself is probably OK.

If you don't have another module to test, please try this:

- Attach the flash to your camera.
- Set the camera to M mode, ISO 100, 1/80 sec and f/5.6.
- Set the flash to M mode.
- In an average room, take test photos at different power settings: Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16.
- Compare the exposures of the photos and post back.

Thanks.
Thanks for suggesting this additional test as I want to be sure before I proceed.

I did the test shots, and all shots were exactly the same - I'm not going to even bother posting any of them as they are identical. I feel that the slider switch for the power level is not working properly.

I sent a message to the seller explaining the problem, which happens to be a camera store. He responded this morning with the same assumption that the selector switch is bad. He has offered me a full refund and I can keep the flash which is great.

Now......before I go shopping again, I have a question. The last 2 I bought were 422D. It looks like these flashes have a sleep function where the 433D does not. I haven't gotten far enough with either of these units to see how this sleep function works, but in my application, I certainly don't want the flash going to sleep. Should I be targeting the 433D instead because of this?

Thanks again everyone - my wife says "what happens in twos, happens in threes", but maybe it will be "the third time is a charm". I'm going shopping again now.......

Another note - KEH has a 422D in ex condition for $41 which I would trust because they have a 6 month warranty on everything, but their minimum shipping is $18.29 - that is ridiculous!!
02-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #30
Veteran Member

The 433D, 444D, 36DX, and Super 383 do not have the "sleep" function.

Recently, KEH's stock seems to go down significantly, and prices seem to be higher than before. I think because they are now focusing on selling on eBay.(kehoutlet), which, to me, is unfortunate.

If you're buying from KEH, I suggest these, currently available, but not sure for how long:

- Contax 360 - The Contax is a hidden gem. Most people don't know that it's built by Nikon, very similar to SB-25.
- Vivitar 5600 - Last week, I already put it in my card, then removed because I found something else.

If you buy the Vivitar, add this to the order. It looks like a fun thing to have:

- Macro Flash Sensor MFS-1 - The document says it's for models 2500 and 4600, but it also works with some other models (5200, 5600, 3700, ....).