Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Using a Led Light/Power Panel off camera?

Seeking comments or personal experiences on using Led Light (Power) Panel on and off camera. I would like a constant light source that does not require AC or heavy batteries. Also, the light source would be used with both Pentax and Nikon camera. I would get a std. TTL flash, but I would need different remote triggers for the 2 cameras.

The LED panels are independent of brand but are they a good alternative for a flash at 15 ft. or closer?

01-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
Seeking comments or personal experiences on using Led Light (Power) Panel on and off camera. I would like a constant light source that does not require AC or heavy batteries. The LED panels are independent of brand but are they a good alternative for a flash at 15 ft. or closer?
Depends on how BIG a panel you are talking about of course; and what kind of shutter speed/aperture/ISO you plan on using. I have a unit that's roughly 4X4 inches with 56 LEDs and runs on AA batteries. I bought mine for close-up and macro use. I could see stretching it to maybe 5 feet for still photography. After that, I would expect to need (take your pick) slower shutter, wider aperture or higher ISO. At that point, I probably start looking harder at electronic flash - even if I had to do some math and shoot manual.
01-20-2013, 04:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use one of these http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product/calumet_digital_multi_led_video_light/cf9020,single unit not 4 as shown, which is good for close ups, macro, very powerful and adjustable.

Can be used with AA cells or rechargeable Minolta battery, comes with diffuser and ct1 filter also good at weddings etc as it does not blow out disco lights like a flash does.
01-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Problem with led are the colours though, thee is a dual spike in the spectrum that makes it hard to correct so white can be make to look white but most colours will appear muted.

01-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
The LED panels are independent of brand but are they a good alternative for a flash at 15 ft. or closer?
At that distance, you would have to have a giant LED panel to compete with a flash. You should be able to find the numbers for the output of whatever units you are interested in. However, I'd keep this in mind. Flashes are powerful enough to compete with the sun during broad daylight. I can't imaging finding an LED panel that powerful, unless it is gigantic.