Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF360FGZ Flash Confirmation

Page 23 of the 360FGZ manual states that the flash icon in the camera (using K10D) viewfinder will blink several times if correct flash exposure is obtained as will the "P-TTL" letters on the 360FGZ LCD.

I have tested this with the kit lens and a few older F and FA lens. I have never seen this so called "flash confirmation indicator" either in the viewfinder or the flash LCD.

I tried this in Green, P, Tv, and Av modes with the flash set to P-TTL/A.Zoom.

Does anyone know if this feature is supposed to work on a K10D? Do I have a bad flash or body?

Thank you for your help!

02-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wiseman Quote
Page 23 of the 360FGZ manual states that the flash icon in the camera (using K10D)
manual was last updated in ~2003... they did not touch it since.
02-22-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wiseman Quote
Page 23 of the 360FGZ manual states that the flash icon in the camera (using K10D) viewfinder will blink ...(snip)... I have never seen this ...(snip)...

The flash icon in older cameras (all brands) usually blinked to indicate the flash had fired. However, since most digital cameras now display the actual image on the rear LCD display, I suspect Pentax felt the flashing icon is no longer really necessary - you can look at the image to not only verify the flash fired, but also verify the exposure itself is what you wanted. However, as "deejjjaaaa" pointed out, the owners manual for the flash unit is several years old, so does not always reflect the latest changes.

Hence, always refer to the owners manual for the camera first for anything having to do with the camera, including how flash units work with it. Remember also that flash units (any brand, not just Pentax) are often designed to work with a range of cameras, with not all of those cameras working the same way. Therefore, anything said in the owners manual for the camera should override or supercede any conflicting information in the owners manual for the flash unit. Again, this is true for any camera/flash combination, not just Pentax products.

stewart
02-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you stewart for your informative response. Excellent advice regarding the manuals.

Come to think of it, I believe the 360FGZ flash confirmation does work in my Pentax ZX-5n film camera.

This forum is truely a wealth of information.