Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma 610 DG Super and wireless P-TTL

I just posted a review of this flash, but I was wondering if anyone else had used it with wireless P-TTL and had some of the same issues.

The manual says nothing about this, but apparently the flash will not act as a wireless P-TTL slave if the flash zoom is set to a manual focal length. It took me quite a few tests to figure out why the flash would not fire before I hit on this. The flash seems to default to a manual zoom setting when I go through the menu to get it set to act as a wireless slave, but it will not fire in that mode. I finally figured this out when I saw that the photo of the screen for wireless slave in the flash's manual did not include the "M" next to the zoom focal length.

This flash also seems not to hold the same channel setting, but always wants to go back to CH1 when set as a slave. I suppose I could solve this by setting my AF540FGZ and all the bodies back to that channel.

It also does not trigger sometimes when the camera is set to X sync and the on-camera flash is the controller. The Pentax AF540FGZ does fine at this setting.

I'm wondering if my Sigma has some issues, or if this behavior is common.

01-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Sigma flash user interface does have some quirks. I hadn't noticed the zoom issue but will try to replicate when I get a chance. Usually one wants a diffuse flash when using a wireless slave, but often it's nice to have more controlled light as well.
01-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Matt. If it doesn't do it when you use it, it could be my copy or some other variable.
01-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The manual says nothing about this, but apparently the flash will not act as a wireless P-TTL slave if the flash zoom is set to a manual focal length.

It also does not trigger sometimes when the camera is set to X sync and the on-camera flash is the controller. The Pentax AF540FGZ does fine at this setting.

I'm wondering if my Sigma has some issues, or if this behavior is common.
I have the Sigma 530 Super. I haven't used it as a slave with Manual zoom, but I always drop the built-in diffuser for 17mm FOV in the umbrella.

Re X-synch, I have not noticed this behaviour. Since it's intermittent, I'm wondering if the Sigma just didn't get the signal from the weak built-in. The Sigma has a neat feature, you can angle the sensor in the flash body to face your controller. Give it a try, it may help.

01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I have the Sigma 530 Super. I haven't used it as a slave with Manual zoom, but I always drop the built-in diffuser for 17mm FOV in the umbrella.

Re X-synch, I have not noticed this behaviour. Since it's intermittent, I'm wondering if the Sigma just didn't get the signal from the weak built-in. The Sigma has a neat feature, you can angle the sensor in the flash body to face your controller. Give it a try, it may help.
Thanks for the suggestion, Dan. I did change the angle, but it was not until I switched back to manual and then back to X synch that I got the flash to work again. That part could also be something in the aging K20d I was using at the time. As I said, there could be other variables at work.

I was also not intentionally using the Sigma 610 with manual zoom, but it keeps defaulting there when I select all the other wireless settings. There may be some short cut to the wireless setting I'm missing. Here is where the Pentax flash is far superior. The middle position on the on/off switch selects wireless, and it could not be easier.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-22-2013 at 03:08 PM.
03-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The zoom issue took another turn last night. The wide angle diffuser came off in my hand. This left the flash permanently set as though it were in place, and manual zoom set to 17mm, disabling the slave function and causing all kinds of funky things to happen on camera as well. This morning, I was able to stuff the thing back in its slot, and get the flash to work in P-TTL slave mode again. I can't say I'd recommend this flash at this point. If I don't send it back (I'll check the warranty) I will probably leave it on its portable stand as a slave permanently for fear it will top functioning if I dislodge the diffuser.

It is too bad. This flash has a grippy outside surface and a locking swivel and bounce which made it work much better than the AF 540 FGZ with a large Graslon diffuser.