Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
returning my Sigma flash -- gonna go official Pentax

No real questions here, just must some musings about the flash options in the Pentax system.

After much contemplation, I've returned my Sigma EF-530 DG Super — too many compatibility compromises and just not happy with it overall.

I'm probably going to spring for the AF540FGZ, but it's really bigger than I want to carry around all of the time and the price is a stretch for my hobby budget. So, I'm kinda eying the AF360FGZ. It's annoying that it doesn't swivel (c'mon, Canon does it with their 430EX, Nikon with the SB-600, Olympus with the FL-36....) but I can get around that some of the time by simply having the flash-off camera — Pentax has at least Canon beat there with the ability to use the built-in flash as a controller (does anyone else do that?).

I've seen some complaints about the AF540FGZ getting stuck on the camera due to a locking pin malfunction. The Sigma flash just plain skips having that pin and felt like it mounted very securely. Looks like the AF360FGZ has it too. Anyone else tried the packaging-tape fix? How well does that work out? Or should I start off with the more destructive approach?

02-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Inactive Account

You too, huh?

Did the battery door fall off yours? Mine did.
02-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The battery door did seem a little flimsy, but no, didn't fall off.

I'm also considering the Metz 48 AF-1 TTL, which looks like it might be nicer than the Sigma. I found a good review of its Canon-mount version, but want to find out a bit more about the Pentax compatibility issues before I decide. I suppose I should start another thread about that....

EDIT: other thread re: Metz

Last edited by mattdm; 02-22-2008 at 12:42 PM.
02-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi matt
QuoteQuote:
After much contemplation, I've returned my Sigma EF-530 DG Super — too many compatibility compromises and just not happy with it overall.
I suspect I'm in the same boat as yourself & many others, looking for a suitable flashgun to use in conjunction with my K10D. Could you expand a little about the compatibility compromises you've encountered with the Sigma EF-530 DG Super ?
As for your other point:
QuoteQuote:
I'm kinda eying the AF360FGZ. *It's annoying that it doesn't swivel
Ain't *THAT the truth....ah well, out with my trusty hacksaw and a tube of superglue.......lol !

Best regards
Richard

02-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
I suspect I'm in the same boat as yourself & many others, looking for a suitable flashgun to use in conjunction with my K10D. Could you expand a little about the compatibility compromises you've encountered with the Sigma EF-530 DG Super ?
High-speed sync only works if you turn Auto ISO off.

High-speed sync and rear-curtain sync don't work in wireless slave mode.

And the real deal-breaker for me is that if the K10D decides to strobe the built-in flash for focus assist, about a third of the time that sets off the EF-530 (even though it's supposed to only listen on its own "channel").

There's other things I wasn't too happy with either (plasticky feel, horrible user interface, even worse manual) but the above kinda pushed me over the edge.
02-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi again Matt

Re your statement:

QuoteQuote:
I'm also considering the Metz 48 AF-1 TTL
As Andreas said in a previous post:

QuoteQuote:
Just be aware that the Metz 48 AF-1 has no auto-mode, so you are stuck with P-TTL, even if your subjects are prone to the lazy eye effect. I think the Metz 58 AF-1 is much better value. (But at a price!)
You might also want to investigate the following posts concerning some unfortunate problems surrounding the Pentax AFZ540, in case your other options prove less than satisfactory.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/5049-af-540-problem.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/79232-post15.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/14722-metz-48-a...40FGZ+flashgun

As you have probably deduced by now, there does not seem to a single 'ideal' solution out there in the market-place for K10D owners. How come N***n owners appear so much better served in the field of flashgun usability by comparison with Pentax photographers ?.....rant over (temporarily !).

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-22-2008 at 04:40 PM.
02-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Confused -- I'd missed your earlier thread on the Metz 48 AF-1. The discussion about flash duration is particularly interesting, although I don't think a big concern for me. The auto mode issue is something to consider as well but I think I'll generally use either P-TTL or manual, so that's okay, particularly given the price savings over the AF540FGZ.

So you haven't made up your mind yet either?

02-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
High-speed sync only works if you turn Auto ISO off.
Are you sure this works with the AF540 ? I thought this was a body bug/limitation.
02-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have both 360 and 540. The 360 lacking swivel never bothered me at all. Buy a flash bracket that flips to keep flash over lens in ver. or hor. Then the bounce is all you need. You will also get much better lighting. Also have the Olympus FL 36. Prefer the 360 to it. Olympus only uses 2 AA batts! It is slow. Okay, guess I have FBA too! Wouldn't buy a Metz. Afraid there will be problems like the Sigma.
thanks
barondla
02-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Are you sure this works with the AF540 ? I thought this was a body bug/limitation.
In response to my query about this specific issue, Daniel Carroll from Pentax Imaging Technical Support emailed me saying: "Thank you for contacting Pentax. The Pentax flashes recommended, were created for the DSLRs and do not have any limitations."

I suppose I wouldn't be terribly shocked if he's wrong. Can someone with the AF540FGZ confirm one way or another?

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Have both 360 and 540. The 360 lacking swivel never bothered me at all. Buy a flash bracket that flips to keep flash over lens in ver. or hor. Then the bounce is all you need. You will also get much better lighting.
That's an option, but I'm not really keen on the extra bulk of the flash bracket, either on the camera or in my camera bag. And a nice one isn't particularly cheap. Actually, a cheap one isn't particularly cheap.

Also have the Olympus FL 36. Prefer the 360 to it. Olympus only uses 2 AA batts! It is slow. Okay, guess I have FBA too!
It can use CRV3 lithiums, at least. But yeah, it definitely focuses on compactness above other possible strengths.

QuoteQuote:
Wouldn't buy a Metz. Afraid there will be problems like the Sigma.
Based on general distrust of third-party equipment, or anything specific?
02-23-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
...snip... I can get around that some of the time by simply having the flash-off camera — Pentax has at least Canon beat there with the ability to use the built-in flash as a controller (does anyone else do that?)...snip...?
With respect to this question, Matt, yeah, many (most?) of the newer Nikon cameras and flashes have been using the built-in flash as a wireless commander for the past several years.

I appreciate your post of your experience with the Sigma, as I've been considering it vs. the AF540FGZ. Looking more like I'll go with the genuine article, despite its quirks.
02-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't know of any problems between Metz and Pentax. Just my observation that Metz is rarely in the forefront of flash technology (how long has a P-ttl flash taken?). Even Sunpak has had a hard time keeping up with the newest technology.
Look at the problems Sigma has had with flash, and lenses. Have seen Sigma AF zooms that would work on EOS film camera but not digital EOS! Camera locked up.
Question is, does Pentax license their flash technology to others? Or do the independents have to reverse engineer the technology. Imho, there will always be a problem if it has to be reverse engineered. Who knew the K10D would allow wireless P-ttl flash later with firmware update?
Brackets can be expensive and bulky. A 360 with bracket doesn't have to cost anymore than a 540. You do get much better light with a bracket. Good luck deciding.
thanks
barondla
02-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't know of any problems between Metz and Pentax. Just my observation that Metz is rarely in the forefront of flash technology (how long has a P-ttl flash taken?).
Arguably that's a good thing — "bleeding edge" isn't necessarily desirable.

QuoteQuote:
Look at the problems Sigma has had with flash, and lenses. Have seen Sigma AF zooms that would work on EOS film camera but not digital EOS! Camera locked up.
Question is, does Pentax license their flash technology to others? Or do the independents have to reverse engineer the technology. Imho, there will always be a problem if it has to be reverse engineered. Who knew the K10D would allow wireless P-ttl flash later with firmware update?
It's reverse-engineered. Pentax only recommends their official flashes, which would be fine if their lineup had more depth. Sigma is reputably very good about firmware updates if you send the flash back to them. And the Metz 48 and 58 AF-1 flashes have USB ports for in-the-field upgrades. But yeah, clearly Sigma didn't get things perfectly right, so skepticism is warranted. I think I'm going to be a guinea pig for the Metz, though — I'll report back my findings.

QuoteQuote:
Brackets can be expensive and bulky. A 360 with bracket doesn't have to cost anymore than a 540. You do get much better light with a bracket. Good luck deciding.
I'm not looking for an expensive or bulky bracket at all — just a tiny flat piece of plastic.
02-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I just bought a Pentax 360 flash and so far I'm happy with it. Just used the battery door, still seems secure, I like the mount lock...faster and easier to use than my old Vivitar 285 HV. I've always been easy on my equipment, never try to force it, so it seems strong enough, so far.

I like the bounce flash (little white card slips out when I need it), pictures seem to be exposed ok.
02-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I am slightly less than happy with my 360 flash. It irks me to no end that it doesn't swivel when all the other similiarly priced brands do.