Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Q: Metz 48 AF-1 and compatibility

So, as I just noted after trying it for a few weeks I've returned my Sigma EF-530 DG Super. I'm not at all disappointed with the pictures I took with it or the light power, but I ended up with a whole list of annoyances and decided I can do better. We can talk about those annoyances in the other thread if you like.

What I'm curious about here is the Metz 48 AF-1, which looks good on (virtual) paper, but then, so did the Sigma. The user interface looks way better (yay German design) and the built-in reflector card seems useful.

How well does this work with Pentax's P-TTL system? Since it says it does, I'm assuming that's the least of my worries.

Can it be controlled with the K10D's built-in flash? Again I assume yes, but want to be sure.

Does high-speed sync work when Auto ISO is enabled? (Doesn't with Sigma; Pentax says their flashes are fine.) This is minor since I like to control ISO when using a flash, but I'm still curious.

Do rear-curtain and high-speed sync modes work? What about off-camera when controlled by the built-in flash?

How smoothly does it mount on the hot-shoe? The Sigma flash felt a bit clumsy, and with official Pentax, there's the stuck-pin issue.

Anything else I should consider? Thanks!

02-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, and also: does it come with mini flash stand base? The Sigma flash did, and as I understand it Pentax's AF540FGZ does but the AF360FGZ doesn't. Not a big deal, just want to know if I'll need to buy one separately.
02-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've read somewhere that Metz flashes in combination with Pentax cameras expose much better than Pentax own flashes
Need to confirm this though.
02-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi again Matt

Re your statement:
QuoteQuote:
I'm also considering the Metz 48 AF-1 TTL
As Andreas said in a previous post:

QuoteQuote:
Just be aware that the Metz 48 AF-1 has no auto-mode, so you are stuck with P-TTL, even if your subjects are prone to the lazy eye effect. I think the Metz 58 AF-1 is much better value. (But at a price!)
Best regards
Richard

02-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's interesting to open the Metz 58 AF-1 and 48 AF-1 spec sheets side by side (or flip between them) to compare the differences:

http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pdffiles/Tech48%20AF-1%20digital.pdf
http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pdffiles/Tech58%20AF-1%20digital.pdf

I wonder what "Wide-area AF illuminator" means exactly — sounds like it has a wide-beam flash-assist light so you can use the edge AF sensors instead of just the middle one, I guess?

Oh, hey, that answers one of my questions: no slave stand included with the 48, but it is with the 58.
02-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So for future reference of anyone who comes across this thread later, I got some good answers to the same question over at dpreview: Re: Q: Metz 48 AF-1 flash and Pentax compatibility: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, I went ahead and ordered one from B&H. We'll see how that works out.