Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did I get a bum Yongnuo?

Just got my Yongnuo 560ii from amazon.
Looked fine, package was in good shape.
Put some brand new energizer ultimate lithiums in it..and get it turned on..
It doesn't seem to be very responsive.
While I've managed to get the flash to fire a few times, it certainly hasn't fired when I wanted it to fire.
I push the pilot button, which is red(?) and maybe I get a flash out of it, but even a minute later I can't get another flash out of it.
It's in manual mode at 1/4 power.
105mm zoom.

if I turn it completely off and back on, I can get a flash....
but subsequent pushes of the pilot button do nothing but aggravate me.
when I turn on the sound,
and attach the flash to the camera. I get 2 short beeps and a long beep
and no flash
if I attach it to my off camera hot shoes I get the same thing. Whenever I try to trigger it using the test flash I get 2 short and then a long beep
I get the occassional flash by repeatedly pushing it, sometimes it'll even flash after it's started beeping.

There do seem to be some barely audible ticks coming from the flash. Which the manual says means bad batteries, but these are brand new fresh from the package.

01-30-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you turn it on, it should "zoom" to the chosen setting - quite audible and un mistakeable, often if the batteries are marginal, it will simply shut off at that point...
Red is correct for the test button, but it does not sound very healthy at all to me.
I would try with other batteries, and if it's the same, then I think the flash may have a problem
01-30-2013, 02:02 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
Just got my Yongnuo 560ii from amazon.
Looked fine, package was in good shape.
Put some brand new energizer ultimate lithiums in it..and get it turned on..
It doesn't seem to be very responsive.
While I've managed to get the flash to fire a few times, it certainly hasn't fired when I wanted it to fire.
I push the pilot button, which is red(?) and maybe I get a flash out of it, but even a minute later I can't get another flash out of it.
It's in manual mode at 1/4 power.
105mm zoom.

if I turn it completely off and back on, I can get a flash....
but subsequent pushes of the pilot button do nothing but aggravate me.
when I turn on the sound,
and attach the flash to the camera. I get 2 short beeps and a long beep
and no flash
if I attach it to my off camera hot shoes I get the same thing. Whenever I try to trigger it using the test flash I get 2 short and then a long beep
I get the occassional flash by repeatedly pushing it, sometimes it'll even flash after it's started beeping.

There do seem to be some barely audible ticks coming from the flash. Which the manual says means bad batteries, but these are brand new fresh from the package.
Just bought one of these, from your description not looking good for you. I also found the pilot button hard to press to get a test flash. I certainly have never heard that 2 short and one long beep. If you want to test the flash by itself, it can also be triggered by making contact between the metal of the hotshoe plate and the hotshoe contact. i.e. use the blade of a small screwdriver.
01-30-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, just grabbed some other batteries, not much choice in Korea, so I grabbed some energizer advanced. If I want big rechareable ones I need to order them online.
Same thing.
Turn on, get a flash. I notice after pushing the pilot button, the button doesn't turn green like I saw on a youtube video of the flash.
shorting the hot shoe also causes the same beep pattern, also sometimes causing it to fire.
I sent an email to yongnuo, but goddamn it, this is not my month. First my wireless hot shoes turn out to be defective and now this.
It does zoom and do all that, but it just seems to have issues flashing.
even at low power.

01-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #5

The pilot only turns green when the previous discharge was so deep that it needs time to recharge. Change from 1/4 to 1/1 so that you get total discharge.
01-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At 1/128 shorting it with the blade on the hot shoe I can get it to fire tons of times,
but it's still making that weird beeping when it does it.
However on my camera it won't fire
on the off-camera hot shoe, it won't fire. Just makes that beeping
01-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
after firing it a whole bunch of times off the blade, and then doing a full discharge by putting it to 1/1 I got it to fire off my camera..once..
01-30-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got it sitting on my K-30 with 4 ultimate lithiums in it.
At 1/128 and 1/64 I've gotten it to fire a few more times, but..even waiting 5-6 seconds in between pictures it doesn't always fire.
now it's stopped firing again. This is definitely screwed up.

01-30-2013, 03:06 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
I've got it sitting on my K-30 with 4 ultimate lithiums in it.
At 1/128 and 1/64 I've gotten it to fire a few more times, but..even waiting 5-6 seconds in between pictures it doesn't always fire.
now it's stopped firing again. This is definitely screwed up.
You have done enough testing in my estimation, give up and send it back!
01-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #10

Seems to me I remember reading on the package not to use lithium batteries for some reason.
01-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
really? I couldn't find anything about that..even googling I could find almost nothing about batteries. Using duracell and non-lithium made no difference. acts the same strange way. I wish it wasn't
01-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wanted to try something else. I tried using a pc cord to try and fire the flash. Didn't work much..i've noticed something weird.
The pc sync cord doesn't seem to fire it, but if I stick it about half way into the trigger jack and wiggle it, I can get it to trip and fire.
but for some reason it won't fire normally. It's very odd behaviour.
01-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #13

I got mine from Amazon last week and it works fine with the batteries and sync cord. I assume you just got a bad copy.
01-30-2013, 07:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
off to RMA land..
hopefully they've got fast turn around.
02-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got my new one today, seems to be working fine. Test flash fires, works on top of my camera. Finally got all working equipement.. woohoo!
just gotta work out this multi shot setting..how should i set the hz? should it relate to shutter speed somehow?