Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
AF 360 in Wireless + Yungnuo

I am trying to set up some off camera lighting and am haveing trouble. When I set my K5 to wireless flash and my AF360FGZ, it works flawlessly off body. As sson as I add an additional flash a Yungnuo. nothing will sync up, I set the YN to slave, I think it fires at the preflash rendering it useless for the shot, but then the 360 doesnt sync up either.... any suggestions? I want to use the YN just for a little fill light and its really peeing me off...

02-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The Yongnuo should work in S2 mode, but I don't know anything about wireless P-TTL, it might do some other things that the Yongnuo is not prepared for.
02-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What happens during p-TTL wireless:

1- you push the shutter release.
2- built-in flash fires the preflash strobe.
3- remote flash (AF360FGZ) fires a weak response strobe. The camera uses this strobe for light metering.
4- mirror raises and shutter opens.
5- built-in flash fires the triggering strobe. This strobe contains the info telling the remote flash how powerful the main strobe from the remote flash needs to be.
6 - remote flash fires the main strobe.
7 - shutter closes, mirror goes down.

What happens when you add a YN flash? (I assume the YN is set at "dumb" slave mode, not ignoring the first strobe). I've never tested it this way. Below is only a guess.

Step 3 becomes:

3 - both the YN and the 360 fires in responding to the prefash strobe from the built-in flash. The camera is not aware of the existence of the YN. It thinks the light comes from the 360.

Note that this strobe (actually the combination of two strobes from the YN and from the 360) is used for metering. The camera sees a powerful reflection (note that the YN fires at full power). As the result, in the triggering strobe from the built-in flash, the camera tells the 360 that very little light is needed.

The main strobe in step 6 is very weak, resulting in a severely under-exposed photo. You may think that the 360 doesn't fire.

If you set the YN to ignore the first strobe, the YN still fires in step 3 because it sees two strobes: the preflash from the builtin flash (which the YN ignores), anh then the response strobe from the 360.

You can't set the 360 to SL2 mode (dumb optical triggering) because the 360 doesn't ignore the preflash strobe from the builtin flash. The 360 will fire in step 3 and may not recharge fast enough to fire again in step 6.

You can't mix p-TTL wireless and "dumb" optical triggering wireless.

Last edited by SOldBear; 02-02-2013 at 11:28 PM.
02-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
What happens during p-TTL wireless:

1- you push the shutter release.
2- built-in flash fires the preflash strobe.
3- remote flash (AF360FGZ) fires a weak response strobe. The camera uses this strobe for light metering.
4- mirror raises and shutter opens.
5- built-in flash fires the triggering strobe. This strobe contains the info telling the remote flash how powerful the main strobe from the remote flash needs to be.
6 - remote flash fires the main strobe.
7 - shutter closes, mirror goes down.

What happens when you add a YN flash? (I assume the YN is set at "dumb" slave mode, not ignoring the first strobe). I've never tested it this way. Below is only a guess.

Step 3 becomes:

3 - both the YN and the 360 fires in responding to the prefash strobe from the built-in flash. The camera is not aware of the existence of the YN. It thinks the light comes from the 360.

Note that this strobe (actually the combination of two strobes from the YN and from the 360) is used for metering. The camera sees a powerful reflection (note that the YN fires at full power). As the result, in the triggering strobe from the built-in flash, the camera tells the 360 that very little light is needed.

The main strobe in step 6 is very weak, resulting in a severely under-exposed photo. You may think that the 360 doesn't fire.

If you set the YN to ignore the first strobe, the YN still fires in step 3 because it sees two strobes: the preflash from the builtin flash (which the YN ignores), anh then the response strobe from the 360.

You can't set the 360 to SL2 mode (dumb optical triggering) because the 360 doesn't ignore the preflash strobe from the builtin flash. The 360 will fire in step 3 and may not recharge fast enough to fire again in step 6.

You can't mix p-TTL wireless and "dumb" optical triggering wireless.
Cool thank you! Guess I'm in the market for another 360

02-03-2013, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
Cool thank you! Guess I'm in the market for another 360
I'd recommend going for another YN560 and some radio triggers instead, keep the AF360 for on camera and single off camera flash use. You'll be much better off with full manual flash for multiple light setups, it will be more predictable and repeatable.
02-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I'd recommend going for another YN560 and some radio triggers instead, keep the AF360 for on camera and single off camera flash use. You'll be much better off with full manual flash for multiple light setups, it will be more predictable and repeatable.

Or just do like I did when I had the same problem I just bought the radio triggers and use the AF360 on manual when off camera with the YN560. Wireless triggers much cheaper than another AF360.
02-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
Or just do like I did when I had the same problem I just bought the radio triggers and use the AF360 on manual when off camera with the YN560. Wireless triggers much cheaper than another AF360.
That is even cheaper, but it is nice to have matched flashes though when shooting manual.

02-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
That is even cheaper, but it is nice to have matched flashes though when shooting manual.
Yes but most times I use one set higher than the other anyway so with a little trial and error not that big of a problem.