Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Types of brackets for softbox

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm considering purchasing a softbox and a bracket to mount a flash behind it (not a fan of lamps). There seems to be two types of brackets that attach to the softbox. One has the flash in a "regular" position (as it would be behind an umbrella) and the other has the flash mounted on a vertical axis, so the flash body is actually horizontal (with the head placed as it would be for bounce, if mounted on the camera).

Am I at all clear?

So, the question is : which orientation is best? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks, folks

02-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You mean the flash is aimed upwards or towards one internal reflective surface of the softbox rather than forward towards the diffuser?
That seems rather silly. Both inefficient and ineffective.

I could see facing towards the back of the softbox to reflect all light forward in a softer manner than straight forward.
But aiming at the side panel doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe I'm mis-understanding what your'e trying to describe?
02-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think he means there are mounts where the flash is in a normal position firing from behind into the softbox, or where the flash is laying down.
If the laying down position means it's not on the hotshoe that one is often better since the hotshoe is kind of a weak point.
02-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
HSV
Veteran Member

Like Anvh has stated, I believe the 2nd type is better because it avoids the torque on the hotshoe. Not using the hotshoe will also avoid problems of short-circuit and related stuff from putting a metal surface on the hotshoe.

02-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There should be no torque on the flash's hotshoe in either layout. The weight of the softbox does not (or should not) be bearing on the flash itself that way.
Rather the flash is either free standing or otherwise attached to not bear additional weight.

There should be no significant benefit to either mount other than when attaching via the hotshoe, some flashes are different sizes. You may not get the flash head in the exact center if the flash is too tall or too short. But probably not going to have a significant impact either way.

Agree with HSV, some hotshoe mounts are not made to protect from shorting the pins. You may need to look for how the mount is made (is there a gap, or is it non-metallic).
02-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes the flash is able to bear his own weight and no one is sugesting the softbox is mounted onto to flash, we are afterall talking about a softbox bracket.
Problem is, it's hanging from the side and you will often move the whole setup to adjust your lighting. Very easy to bump into things.
When you're working outside it's quite easy for the wind to blow something over.

Yes, my hotshoe of the af540fgz broke because i knock it against something...

Last edited by Anvh; 02-13-2013 at 06:49 PM.
02-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Closed Account

Try one of these for $65. Great bracket & speedring, LastoLite should be ashamed. See B&H reviews from pro's. Toss the universal speedring bolts, screw an NPT-04 trigger (Cowboy Studio) on it with a QR plate and carry it around on your tripod. Have a Manfrotto 055xProB so I can get it pretty high. Also swap out the Morris softbox with a Photoflex Medium. Or stick a Edison base receptacle with an 85W CFL in it. Very versatile.

Morris Soft Box - 15x18" 690665 B&H Photo Video

http://themorriscompany.com/product%20pics%20new/port_softbox%281%29.jpg

Last edited by Ponosby Britt; 02-13-2013 at 10:41 PM.
02-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Yes the flash is able to bear his own weight and no one is sugesting the softbox is mounted onto to flash, we are afterall talking about a softbox bracket.
Problem is, it's hanging from the side and you will often move the whole setup to adjust your lighting. Very easy to bump into things.
When you're working outside it's quite easy for the wind to blow something over.

Yes, my hotshoe of the af540fgz broke because i knock it against something...
Good point.
02-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I made my own horizontal bracket for my flash for around $5.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/106596-diy-horizontal-flash-b...ht-stands.html

Tim
02-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just to be clear, here are some examples of what I have in mind...

Normal position
Flash Speedlite Bracket L Bowens s Mount for Snoot Softbox Barndoor Studio Stand | eBay

Horizontal

Aluminum Alloy T Type Speedlite Bracket - Black - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

It seems there is more stress to the hotshoe with the second configuration, I was wondering if there is any gain.

Thanks for the input anyway!
02-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I would not mount a flash like in the second option.
However if you can bend the flash bracket to a U shape you can mount the flash with a strap onto the bracket.
That would be smaller and a better setup.
02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I would not mount a flash like in the second option.
I was wondering if there was a good reason to do things this way. Seems there isn't.
02-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well if you want to light the ceiling or the ground, mounting it that way would be better but i don't think that's you're intention.
02-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well if you want to light the ceiling or the ground, mounting it that way would be better but i don't think that's you're intention.
For the ceiling, just tilting the head works. For the ground, nope, no intention to do that...
02-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I meant with a softbox, not the bare flash.