Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which Ring Flash?

Hope this is in the right section. I'm looking for advice regarding a ring flash. I have recently picked up the Tamron 90mm Macro from a fellow forum member, and I "think" I want a ring flash. I've never owned one, and have only used a flash ring 1 time. I have no clue which one I should get, so I'm looking for advice/info as to what I should be looking for. I received a $50 Amazon gift code, and thought I might use it on the ring flash. I looked at the ones on Amazon and they generally run in the $50 range, but I have no idea which one is good and which one is junk. Any information would be appreciated.

02-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The best ring flash is one with p-TTL, then you don't have to worry much about exposure. But p-TTL ring flashes are not inexpensive.

The next best thing is a flash with manual power ratio settings.

Auto mode is helpful but not so much so in macro. The thyristor sensor can easily be fooled. Also, the effective aperture can be 1 or 2 stops slower than the aperture setting on the lens.

Buy this. It has auto mode, and 5 manual power settings (1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16).

And this (Don't worry about the fact that the module is not for Pentax. It doesn't matter).

There, not from Amazon but a great ring flash for about $50.

This thread may help.

Last edited by SOldBear; 02-20-2013 at 02:02 PM.
02-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second SOldBear's advice. I have this ringflash and it works great.

Last edited by bluestringer; 03-19-2013 at 02:46 PM.
02-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you gentlemen for your quick reply and excellent info.

02-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sigma ring flash is not a ring, but 2 small flashes mounted in a ring - this is a bulky piece of gear and takes up a lot space.
Pentax is a true ring flash - it is much smaller, but may not fit on some sigma macros - I have never used it
I prefer to use manual settings both on the camera and flash as well as manual focus.

There are LED alternatives, these would be great for fill light, but I am not sure if much else. I have LED lights that can be mounted on a tripod or camera bracket and they do a nice fill in light but it doesn't change the aperture in reasonable light and does nothing in bright light.
02-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

How about something like this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/74768-o...one-tried.html
02-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use a Vivitar DR-5000 ring flash. It's a true ring flash & works great. It's $52.99 at Amazon. No p-TTL, but it does have an auto setting that works well.