Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #1

Beauty Dish or Octabox for wedding

Hi guys, I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get a octabox or beauty dish for outdoor shots of the couple. I will eventually get both but I have my money tied up on potentially buying a Tamron 70-200 2.8 or the Pentax 50-135. I will list what I'm working with below.

2xAlienbee b1600s and grids
1 large softbox
2 40" Umbrellas
1 70" Umbrella

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

02-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The beauty dish is probably a bit more expensive, but also more versatile in my opinion. You can you us it as is, with a diffusion sock, or remove the central deflector and use it as a large parabolic. The octabox on the other hand is probably slightly cheaper, lighter and more portable (you can't collapse a beauty dish). The octabox can also be used with or without diffusion material, but if you're going to use it without, you might as well use an umbrella, I can't see the difference in photos. The only thing I really don't like about octaboxes is setting them up, but some of the newer ones have and umbrella-like system that allows you to set it up in seconds, so they're quite nice.

There's not a huge difference in the light that you get from the two, both are soft, but the beauty dish has just a bit of punch to it. (I prefer the white lined ones to the silver, but if punch is your thing, silver is definitely an option)
02-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
The octabox can also be used with or without diffusion material, but if you're going to use it without, you might as well use an umbrella, I can't see the difference in photos.
Try a deepocta with a reflector in the middle, it will actually be quite close to a beauty dish.
02-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you're considering that much lighting for the wedding day then I assume you're working with "at least" one assistant who is only tasked with moving and setting up your lighting?

I've been shooting weddings for more than a decade now and the most complex lighting I've ever setup on a wedding day was two strobes with two 40" shoot-through umbrellas. And those weddings were ones where the bride booked me, a second shooter and an assistant and we had time built into the schedule to move the lights around. Your weddings might be different, but most of the weddings I book are so fast-paced that setting up multiple off-camera lights isn't an option.

Most of my weddings are shot with either bounced on-camera flash (Neil van Niekirk style) or with a single hot shoe flash and small soft box off camera triggered by PocketWizard and held in position by an assistant (the "light on a stick" method).

Having said all that, I will setup much more complex lighting for studio or location engagement portraits before the wedding day ... it's just that multiple strobes and light modifiers generally aren't something that you can work with on the actual wedding day (even before or after the actual ceremony) if you're crunched for time and space.

02-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for all the replies, I should have mentioned that this is a bit of a unique situation where I'm not going to shoot the ceremony or reception but they wanted some "strobist" type shots with the landscape (shooting in Canmore,Alberta). I will have at least one but probably two assistants. I am leaning more towards the dish now that maxfield mentioned the diffusion sock.
02-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
but some of the newer ones have and umbrella-like system that allows you to set it up in seconds, so they're quite nice.
they're apparently not durable, and they are a pain to use if you ever need to change the lamp power setting, since you have to partially disassemble them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Xsalfior Quote
2xAlienbee b1600s and grids
Wouldn't you be better off with simpler strobes? A flash is much more portable and I would think that for a wedding that's a huge bonus.

even in the studio, I'm using only FTZ-500 flashes all the time.
02-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
they're apparently not durable, and they are a pain to use if you ever need to change the lamp power setting, since you have to partially disassemble them.

Wouldn't you be better off with simpler strobes? A flash is much more portable and I would think that for a wedding that's a huge bonus.

even in the studio, I'm using only FTZ-500 flashes all the time.
Normally yes I agree simpler is better, but the time I have is between 2-4:30 so I'm thinking I may need to overpower the sun. With the vagabond mini strapped to the side of the light stand and my assistant holding it, once i have it set up it should be pretty easy to move it around if I need to (so i think anyway). I will be going to the location a couple of months before the wedding and taking some shots with a couple friend to make sure that everything works well. I will have a couple of EF-530 flashes on hand also just incase.

02-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Xsalfior Quote
Normally yes I agree simpler is better, but the time I have is between 2-4:30 so I'm thinking I may need to overpower the sun.
Many photographers use lamps and are happy with them. I'm pretty sure that a good flash at high power will overcome the sun, as you say. Of course it always depends on what you have in mind exactly, but even the built-in camera flash can compensate for daylight shadows
02-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #9

In my opinion the octa is better, I consider a beauty dish a specialty light, reason being it has a lot more punch, it really defines face elements and cheecks and not all faces can bare that type of light, especially not perfect ones,the white one is a little more gentle but the silver one as more light throw.
I'd rather use a big octa, it'll be good for shooting groups, for shooting the couple and the big soft light will even fill granny's wrinhkles if you need to.
As someone suggested if you put some type of reflector in the middle of the octa you'll get something near to a beauty dish,checkout the firelfy beauty box to understand this type of design,I'm sure there are ways to do it even with a strobe.
02-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
BD will probably have too much falloff IMHO...
02-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #11

Original Poster
Well I can't really decide so I just bought both, the white alien bee dish and an octa from a local shop. Again I really appreciate everyones help, this forum is great!!!
03-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been thinking about the alien bee dish. I wouldn't use it for weddings (I prefer flashes for that and I usually don't have long enough during the portrait part of the day to set up much more than that), but I have been doing more portraits and I think it would be great to have. Octas are nice too. I'm interested to see what you choose for the shoot and what your preference is once you get to play with both.