Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
So the wireless only works with Pocketwizard? Does Pocketwizard even make triggers for Pentax?
Sekonic meters have a small recess where you can install a Pocket Wizard radio transmitter, or you can buy it preinstalled at the time of purchase. I'm not aware of any other brand of transmitter that can be installed there. The transmitter will allow you to trigger any strobe connected to a Pocket wizard device remotely, and with the 478 model you even have control over the output of certain lights.

The basic Pocket Wizard I, II and III are simple center-pin sync triggers, that is, they don't relay any TTL information and so they are brand agnostic, thus they will work with Pentax. Pocket Wizard makes another system called the MiniTT1 which is used in conjunction with the FlexTT5 to give TTL controls to Canon and Nikon flash systems. They send proprietary signals, which allows the camera to adjust the power levels based on the preflash exposure. These are brand specific, there is a Canon TT1 and a Nikon TT1, and a Canon TT5 and a Nikon TT5. I suspect that in order to use the ratio controls of the Sekonic 478, you would need at least the TT5 transceiver and the appropriate speed lights. What I don't know is whether the TT5s will work in manual flash mode. When I got to play with the 478 it seemed like all the exposure controls were in EV steps as they relate to "proper" exposure, i.e. you could set Group A to +1 and Group B to -2, but I didn't find a way to set group A to half power, and group B to quarter power. That would be necessary for the system to work with a Pentax camera since it has no way of communicating "proper" exposure to Canon or Nikon speedlights. It's possible that I just didn't find the way to switch to manual control, it is quite a complex gadget.

As far as the 358 vs. the 478, I do like the simplicity of the 358, but the 478 is a considerably more robust unit, and if it's the same price as you say, it would be the better value. It has, to my knowledge, all the features of the 358 plus the above mentioned TTL controls over Canon and Nikon speedlight with the PW system, and it can use the Sekonic camera profiling software to create custom profiles for each lens in your bag. Of course the 358 has been around for a long time, and you'll have a much easier time finding a used one than the brand new 478. I'd say either one is a good choice.

02-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pocketwizard and TTL ability means less and less with real strobes vs speedlights. Switching to big lights has been liberating (Dynalite) and I've found that I can still take them out very easily. That being said having a light meter is essential in my opinion. Properly exposed shots are so much easier to deal with in PP.
02-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
As far as the 358 vs. the 478, I do like the simplicity of the 358, but the 478 is a considerably more robust unit, and if it's the same price as you say, it would be the better value. It has, to my knowledge, all the features of the 358 plus the above mentioned TTL controls over Canon and Nikon speedlight with the PW system, and it can use the Sekonic camera profiling software to create custom profiles for each lens in your bag. Of course the 358 has been around for a long time, and you'll have a much easier time finding a used one than the brand new 478. I'd say either one is a good choice.
I just went back and took a look at the 478 and there are two models out there. I think that's where the confusion about price is coming from.

A new 358 costs about $310. The 478 that I've been looking at is about $370 and doesn't have the pocket wizard capability. The 478 with pocket wizard capability is about $470. If you're talking about that 478, then yeah, that's a huge price difference.

I don't think I'll buy the 478dr (pocket wizard one) I just bought cactus triggers and don't plan on buying anymore triggers for a long time. I guess it comes down to whether or not I find a good deal on a used 358 (it would have to be less than $200) or get a 478d (non pocket wizard).

Thanks for all of the help.
03-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's nothing wrong with the Sekonics, but my Minolta (happens to be the same model SOldBear is selling) was much less expensive used (on CL) and side-by-side it measures exactly the same readings as my friend's new Sekonic. You can still buy the Minoltas new under the Kenko label Kenko KFM-1100 Auto Digi Meter KFM-1100 B&H Photo Video but why spend that much when so many people are unloading them for cheaper prices?

03-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
There's nothing wrong with the Sekonics, but my Minolta (happens to be the same model SOldBear is selling) was much less expensive used (on CL) and side-by-side it measures exactly the same readings as my friend's new Sekonic.
Agree. But I couldn't say so at the time because people might think I was biased.

I had a copy of Sekonic L-358 and 2 copies of Minolta Autometer IV F. All three of them gave me the same reading. I decided to keep only a copy of the Minolta because:

1. I have a Minolta 5 degree spot metering attachment, and
2. I could sell the Sekonic for twice I could the Minolta (I did sell it on eBay).

After a few day with no respond, I withdrew the listing for the Minolta here. It's now on eBay: link.