Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #1

Natural Light: Making a 'fake room', thoughts?

(I probably broke the record in dumb-idea threads but I'm having fun testing things out and taking advantage of this awesome community so plz bear with me )

Got excited about using Natural Light, and got really inspired by a couple of videos of Nat. Light photographers at work

However, I don't have a suitable indoor natural light space, but i do have a very nice roof
I thought of making a 'fake room':
Light stands & extension arms
black cloth on floor & top & sides
an opening that is adjustable via dark reflectors for light

Basically, a box/cuboid shaped space made of light-stand & black cloth with an adjustable opening for light
the aim is to re-create the indoors effect with more versatility in terms of shape & quality of light

Thoughts?

02-24-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wind?
02-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Wind?
Not an issue at all; There's no strong wind these days & nothing to pose a risk if i clamp the cloth to the lightstands or fix it to the ground

What else ?

COME ON!
02-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would go with 8'x4' 1/4" plywood panels mounted on 2x2 frame and painted mat black. Hinge two panels. 4 such hinged panels gives you an 8x8 room.

Cut different sized "windows" in 4 of the panels and keep the other 4 for use as backdrop.

Use cloth for the ceiling.

Its rigid, highly re-configurable and relatively easy to store.

02-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
I would go with 8'x4' 1/4" plywood panels mounted on 2x2 frame and painted mat black. Hinge two panels. 4 such hinged panels gives you an 8x8 room.

Cut different sized "windows" in 4 of the panels and keep the other 4 for use as backdrop.

Use cloth for the ceiling.

Its rigid, highly re-configurable and relatively easy to store.
wouldn't you say cloth is more flexible in terms of length & width? easily widened/elongated by moving a couple of stands
02-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dstructor Quote
wouldn't you say cloth is more flexible in terms of length & width? easily widened/elongated by moving a couple of stands
Well sure if you put it that way...

Wouldn't you have an issue with light reflecting off the cloth when it is wrinkled up?
02-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Well sure if you put it that way...

Wouldn't you have an issue with light reflecting off the cloth when it is wrinkled up?
With matte black cloth you're talking about 2-stops darker or more; If it's not already 'infinite black' in the raw image, then increasing the contrast slightly in post (LR) should make it so

02-26-2013, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #8
Closed Account

Roof top Studio

Its been done! Here's the Peter Gowland solution

"On the roof of studio two, an 8x8' masonite revolving platform can be turned to suit the sun. 8x8' background folds down to cover the floor when not in use. Canvas covers both to protect the stage from weather."
02-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

strikes me your building a studio backdrop outside, I see no problem with this!
02-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
strikes me your building a studio backdrop outside, I see no problem with this!
Is that for real or are you being sarcastic?
03-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

for real. I mean, what you are doing is no different to what you would do in a studio, but that would be with artificial light.

Only problems I can see is weathering of the surface, and controlling said light source i.e. having to use things to shade/reflect the light.
03-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
for real. I mean, what you are doing is no different to what you would do in a studio, but that would be with artificial light.

Only problems I can see is weathering of the surface, and controlling said light source i.e. having to use things to shade/reflect the light.
The thing is I can't find (or don't have time to look for) a natural light studio; some place high & facing sun movement...etc
and even then, it'd be too much financial commitments for little ol' me these days

So, I thought, give it a 500 or something to try emulate that effect, instead of being committed to ~1500 quids/month on rent + clean-up...etc with no sure way of return on investment

(An even another alternative was to scout photography schools & art spaces for natural light rooms and rent them on demand, looking into that)
03-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Something like this?
Strobist: Build a DIY Portable North Light Photo Studio
03-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
I love Strobist - That is remarkable. Looks a lot like the OP's idea to me.
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Pretty darn close!

Difference:
I plan on using the sun as light source with no flashes; so, my setup will have me & the model included in this "tent", closed from all directions around us with an opening for light

I love you guys ^_^