Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well part of me still thinks that if my client pays me for unretouched photos, then that's what they get. They must have their own retoucher. The poor guy is probably chained to his desk in some dark basement with a chamber pot and a sign on the wall that says "Go Team!". He's fed a steady diet of gruel, and on Christmas eve, if he's been productive all year, he gets a cookie. Hehe. Seriously though, unless they're complaining about orange babies, I'd say give them the shots straight out of the camera with lens corrections and color calibration applied, and that's it. But, if you really feel strongly that you need to add that extra bit of value, here's one more thought.

Different wavelengths of light penetrate a given substrate at different depths. Shorter wavelengths like UV and blue don't penetrate as deeply as longer wavelengths like red and IR. Color film makers made use of this phenomena by stacking color layers on top of one another. Blue was on the surface closest to the lens, then the green layer beneath that, then the red layer. It's possible that IR light is to blame for the baby's orange complexion. If you've ever photographed a person with an IR modified camera under the wrong light, you'll know that veins and blotchiness can show up very easily. In fact, just doing a black and white conversion in Photoshop with the IR preset on your baby photo reveals a lot, he looks like a photo retoucher who has been chained up in a basement.

So how to fix that in camera? Well you'd need to reduce the amount of IR either being emitted by the light, reflected by the subject, or transmitted though the lens. You could gel your strobes and then balance them in camera, but you would need to know the particular transmission characteristics of the gel. Many of the blue gels, now that I look at them, block yellow and green, but still transmit red, and presumably infrared. Rosco makes a few that look promising, their Baldassari Blue and Night Blue both block about 95% of red. Or perhaps another type of lighting altogether, like an LED "hotlight" might emit less IR. Then there's the makeup route, perhaps if you look around you could find an IR absorbing matte face powder or foundation. Even having the few extra microns of thickness from a normal foundation might help. Ask 'Mom' to help apply it. Finally there's an IR cut filter that you could put on your lens. Your camera already has one of these over the sensor, so I'm not sure how effective it will be, but Schneider makes something called a Shortpass filter that begins to block wavelengths as short as 615nm (orange). This will cause color shifts, but it may be something that can be corrected with white balance. The effect of the reintroduced reds and oranges from the white balancing process though will be different than having red light reflecting off subcutaneous tissue.

This is all just a theory you understand, please don't hold me accountable if it doesn't work, just some things to consider. You might ask around among the IR shooting crowd.

03-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rob, that's why I suggested the gel approach, seemed nobody read your original post. Gel approach = No PP. The big theory is/was add extra orange/yellow that's same colour as your problem one, won't change your nose colour but will change all the rest. Then take it away from everything including nose with custom WB setting in camera. That's the theory anyway, wasn't sure if it'd work hence suggestion to just try it out.
03-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Rob, that's why I suggested the gel approach, seemed nobody read your original post. Gel approach = No PP. The big theory is/was add extra orange/yellow that's same colour as your problem one, won't change your nose colour but will change all the rest. Then take it away from everything including nose with custom WB setting in camera. That's the theory anyway, wasn't sure if it'd work hence suggestion to just try it out.
Problem is that a yellow gell will add more yellow on the nose as well ... unless there is a way to "crop" that specific zone.
By applying custom WB on top of that, will probably eliminate the yellow but not you will be creating other problems for the "yellow-er" areas ...

There is no magic, as far as I know, to just remove that when you take your shot ... only PP will properly remove it.

My advice, let the clients know (before the shoot - or when you notice the problem) what kind of problems are with small children and that it can be fixed in PP but you need extra time for it. I'm sure that if they want good job will be more than happy to wait a little extra and if they are not bothered by it ... let it be as is and be done .