Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Commlite Comtrig T-320 radio trigger

I'm looking for an inexpensive radio trigger for manual off-camera flash use with my K-x and new K-01. I'll use it with a Metz 50, and a yet to be purchased manual flash.

The Flash Havoc review site recommends the Commlite Comtrig T320 as the top inexpensive, manual trigger. The T-320 appears to be an improvement over the YongNuo RF602, with much faster sync speeds, AAA batteries and a pass-through hotshoe. $30 a set. (I have no affiliation with Commlite or Flash Havoc.)

Flash Havoc Commlite Comtrig t320 review

The T-320 has an unusual shoe contact design that supports both Canon and Nikon in a single trigger. I'm worried that this may cause problems with a Pentax hotshoe and flash. It definitely won't support P-TTL pass-through, or remote wakeup of the flash, but I'll be happy, if it works as a manual trigger with Pentax. I've searched this site and googled the web, but I can't find any mention of support for Pentax.

Have any of you tried a T-320 with a Pentax?

Any help appreciated,

Bruce

03-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sync speeds are limited by the camera, not the radio.
Pentax is stuck at 1/180. Above that it won't fire the shoe. My radio will sync to 1/250 but above 1/180 pentax doesn't fire it.
Aputure is a little more expensive but their trigmaster plus works as a transceiver, for $30 each. Syncs to 1/180 (max is 250 but pentax can't do it).
You can get more basic ones that that, but I think you'd find having transceivers like that useful for triggering the camera remotely.
better than the pentax IR trigger for the shutter
Now that I've gotten used to them, I'm pretty happy with the aputure. They have a basic set as well, with a trigger/receiver like that, but some of us have ordered it and gotten their old Mark I versions (not the Mark II) and that doesn't seem to sync above 1/100 on pentax.
Plus syncs at 1/180.
Basic receivers sync with the plus transceiver at 1/180. It's only the old basic trigger that syncs at 1/180
So you could get a couple transceivers for $30 each and a receiver for $20.

Last edited by crossmr; 03-11-2013 at 02:25 AM.
03-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
sync speeds

Hi Crossmr,

That's great info on the Aputure. Exactly the real use feedback that I wanted, especially on the field limitations of the basic. I hadn't heard of that brand before.

The Trigmaster Plus for 2 x $30 sounds like what I want.
Is there a Pentax specific model? or do I get the Nikon?

Thanks,

Bruce
03-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This one
Amazon.com: Aputure Trigmaster Plus, 2.4GHz Radio Remote Flash Trigger and Shutter Cable Release, fits Pentax *ist DS, DS2, D, DL, DL2, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K-5, and Pentax AF 360 FGZ, AF-200FG: Camera & Photo
there is a 2 pack for $64 I think

03-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
found the Trigmaster Plus Kit for Pentax

Thanks Crossmr!

I found the kit and will probably order it.

The remote trigger is a plus. I have an IR remote, but my Kx and K01 only have front facing IR sensors. ( I still use them from behind by using a small piece of paper as a reflector, but it's a little kludgy.)

Trigmaster Plus kit for Pentax
03-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

No problem.
After you get those two, you can add additional functionality just by grabbing basic receivers. So you can trigger the shutter remotely and flash at the same time. They're only $20 each and the basic trigmaster I receivers work fine for this (I use one with my 2 plus models)
02-27-2014, 02:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just read this thread and I can report on having tested the ComTrig t320 on a K-5II with very good results. The reason I bought a set was the prospect of PTTL passthrough to the main flash on the camera. I have earlier tested other triggers that works fine as remopte triggers but doesn't let the camera communicate with the flash unit.

The socket on the Comtrig has all the connectors necessary for both Canon, Nikon and Pentax (actually the first one I have seen so far). I have tested it with a Metz 58 AF-2 (firmware 4.1) on the camera mounted TX-unit and a Yongnuo 460II as a remote slave on the RX-unit. It actually works great with full PTTL communication. It works exactly as with the 58 AF-2 mounted directly on the camera.

02-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bnorikane Quote
Have any of you tried a T-320 with a Pentax?
I have not and I'm sure the T-320 does what it is intended for.

If your purchase is not urgent, though, I'd recommend to wait for the Cactus V6.

The V6 will support remote power control, not only with the Cactus RF60 but also with many existing flashes, like your Metz 50 AF-1.

The V6 will also offer TTL pass-through with Pentax equipment (+ Canon & Nikon for that matter).

The V6 will cost more than the T-320 but will be so much more useful, AFAIC.