Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Metz Cl 45 and pentax update

For any one using a Metz CL45 with any Pentax current model I was given the following info from Metz in Germany today.

I get allot of overexposure problems with this unit on any of my Pentax bodies.

"the adaptor SCA 3702 should have the current version M3 firmware in this case. Maybe you can check the version of your adaptor at first."

The Cl 45 does not work on a K30 at all it goes into a continuous flashing mode the answer from Metz to that problem is as follows.

"Unfortunately the mentioned problem in combination with the Pentax K-30 is known. At the moment we work on a new firmware for the adaptor SCA 3702. However, I can't give you a deadline when this new firmware will be available but I will inform you as soon as we have further details."

On finding my SCA is a M2 version I got this reply

"The mentioned version M2 isn't designed for the current Pentax digital-cameras such as K-5. Therefore you should have the adapter updated to M3. However, maybe you should wait for this because we will release the new version for the K-30 probably next month. I will inform you as soon as the new version is available."

03-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The endless updates of their expensive SCA adapters are too rich for my blood so I just use the vanilla 301 shoe on my 40MZ2/3/3i flashes with plain A flash.
03-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
An interesting observation by the o/p.

I use the sca with the Metz 72, and have used it on two versions of the K-5, a K-01, and even a (borrowed) K-30. Makes me wonder if it is the flash unit?
03-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
or maybe because i have CL45? Metz from their email obviously know and acknowledge the issue with the k30

03-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Oooo, great news, thanks for the heads up Alistair. I have the M2 version myself, it works flawlessly on my PZ-1p (TTL), but it doesn't seem like it handles pTTL all that well. I didn't start out with an SCA module though, I just used the PC socket, and that seems to work just fine in one of the auto thyristor modes of the flash gun. You might try that until the upgrade is available. Just take a shot with your lens aperture and ISO dialed in on the 45CL, and if the subject is too bright or too dark, adjust the big dial on the Metz. If the subject AND the background are too bright or too dark, adjust the aperture or ISO on the camera. I've had very consistent results that way.
03-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Oooo, great news, thanks for the heads up Alistair. I have the M2 version myself, it works flawlessly on my PZ-1p (TTL), but it doesn't seem like it handles pTTL all that well. I didn't start out with an SCA module though, I just used the PC socket, and that seems to work just fine in one of the auto thyristor modes of the flash gun. You might try that until the upgrade is available. Just take a shot with your lens aperture and ISO dialed in on the 45CL, and if the subject is too bright or too dark, adjust the big dial on the Metz. If the subject AND the background are too bright or too dark, adjust the aperture or ISO on the camera. I've had very consistent results that way.
Thank you for the info, yes in manual it works fine and indeed in the old auto mode that is still there but it just seems especially on the k5 to over expose all the time especially when the subject is close, shots of a reception room are mostly ok. I have learned to start off with the on camera flash setting turned down 2 stops which mostly give good results and if then a bit under exposed easily fixed in PP.