Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
FWIW my K3 behaves the same way with the ring flash as the K5iis; it only fires once. The flash can be forced to fire again by using the button on the back of the flash to fire it. A shutter release will then fire it again. The only camera it has worked on properly was the K7.

09-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
FWIW my K3 behaves the same way with the ring flash as the K5iis; it only fires once. The flash can be forced to fire again by using the button on the back of the flash to fire it. A shutter release will then fire it again. The only camera it has worked on properly was the K7.
Would you please post what firmware on the K5iis you're using? I will go check mine because my k5iis works perfectly fine it's my two K-3 is that have the issues. Ok, mine is v1.07.

By the way for a cheap $15 workaround this guy fixes the problem. It was originally intended for very old flashes that have extremely high trigger voltages.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G47I7Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
09-25-2015, 06:31 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by evilcartman Quote
Would you please post what firmware on the K5iis you're using? I will go check mine because my k5iis works perfectly fine it's my two K-3 is that have the issues. Ok, mine is v1.07. By the way for a cheap $15 workaround this guy fixes the problem. It was originally intended for very old flashes that have extremely high trigger voltages.
My K-5iis has firmware 1.07.

There's a supposed fix for the issue which involves soldering a resistor into the flash itself. I haven't tried it, although I did buy the components. I might reconsider this approach, but I don't use the flash a lot, so resetting it by firing it manually isn't a big deal. Presumably the Chinese manufacturer didn't adjust the circuit properly for the signal from recent Pentax cameras.
10-07-2015, 04:29 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Has anyone tried one of these hotshoe adapters to fix problem flashes?

Amazon.com : SMDV Hot Shoe Safe Sync Adapter SM-512 for Pentax *ist DS, DS2, D, DL, DL2, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K100D Super, K-5, K-7, K-30, K-r, K-x, K-m, (K-m A.K.A. K2000), K-01, Hotshoe : Camera Lens Adapters : Camera & Photo

10-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #20
Forum Member

Not a lot of room in the viltrox for a resistor. Don't unscrew the 4 screws from the circuit board plate over the hot shoe. It's hell getting that thing back on.

The only place to really put the resistor is to cut one of the wires that plugs in to the circuit-board plate and soldering that resistor inline. But there is not a lot of room to work with in there. I'll stick with the external voltage thyristor. It was explained to me that any safe sync adapter will work.
01-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #21

evilcartman.
Same problem with my K3 - JY670 will only fire once - have to turn the unit off and then on again to get it to fire again.
Running up to date firmware - no difference.
Have you resolved the issue??
01-11-2018, 04:21 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geoffb Quote
evilcartman.
Same problem with my K3 - JY670 will only fire once - have to turn the unit off and then on again to get it to fire again.
Running up to date firmware - no difference.
Have you resolved the issue??
After you take the first photo, try firing the flash manually with the button on the flash then try triggering it with the camera. It's not ideal, but it works for me.

01-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, I have a similar problem with my Cobra Macroflash ring flash Cobra Macrofalsh reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database on my K1. I have to press the flash "On" button after each shot; I am just using it through the PC socket, no dedication, and I have not experimented with other cameras or turning the camera off etc. The Cobra is not in the same league as your Viltrox, and I got it used off Ebay, so I had assumed it was a fault with the flash, but after reading this thread perhaps it is with the camera. I live with it, my macro work (technical subjects) is slow work anyway.
01-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #24

Yes Lord Lucan - not the camera - cheap Chinese equipment is the issue; the thread involving this issue has determined that! The Viltrox was not that expensive (around $120 AUD) cheap compared to top of the line Ring flashes, results are good and I was having fun with the macro and flash unit. Yes macro is slow sometimes, but I take a lot of insect shots, so a reliable (and properly working) flash is essential. Am having issues returning the flash for a refund/replacement - I will definately NOT be buying any cheap chinese equipment in the future. Looking at a Metz or similar.
01-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes Lord Lucan - not the camera - cheap Chinese equipment is the issue; the thread involving this issue has determined that! The Viltrox was not that expensive (around $120 AUD) cheap compared to top of the line Ring flashes, results are good and I was having fun with the macro and flash unit. Yes macro is slow sometimes, but I take a lot of insect shots, so a reliable (and properly working) flash is essential. Am having issues returning the flash for a refund/replacement - I will definately NOT be buying any cheap chinese equipment in the future. Looking at a Metz or similar.
It's a shame, because the Viltrox works well except for the triggering bug - which is an essential part of the operation of the device. Does Pentax still make their ring flash? I've seen it on sale in Japan in the past.
01-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #26

Yeh, I was having fun getting used to using the Viltrox, great macro shots and an improvement on my previous macro photography.
Yes - Pentax still make their Ring Flash - if you've got a spare K or so lying round..........mmm, they do know how to charge - I like to buy genuine Pentax gear, but my Camera only cost a bit over that.
Did see one on sale here in Aus for half price - the Metz is reasonable value for half that.
01-12-2018, 11:39 PM   #27
Forum Member

I solved my problem by selling all my Pentax gear and going with a company that supports its customers. The 3 years of nonsense from company reps about tethering, and then killing that little indy dev's tethering app that used to work was the last straw for me. Honestly I have never be happier.

However, I did solve this issue before that. ( i know it has been mentioned but in case you missed it) And it IS a Pentax issue, not the flash. The flash works fine, it is the camera that has the communication issue. The Viltrox works on every other brand of camera in the world. Only Ricohax fails.

The whole point of the Viltrox was not having to shell out the 100s for a big name ringlight. Metz and Pentax are seriously overpriced like most flashes, despite their quality. You should have options.
'
I bought a 1o dollar hot shoe synce adapter and that solved the problem.

amazon.com : Pixel TF-322 Flash Hot Shoe Sync Adapter with Extra PC Sync Port Dedicated for Nikon DSLR & Flashgun : Camera Cases : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Good luck. I love the folks around here but Ricoh sucks ***. Good riddance. I have been dealing with their office products service dept. and know I know where the customer hostile attitude that had invaded Pentax must have come from.

Last edited by evilcartman; 01-13-2018 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Keeping it appropriate
01-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

However, I did solve this issue before that. And it IS a Pentax issue, not the flash.
You probably missed the comment on the other thread where the OP put the vanilla hot shoe flash on a vanilla hot shoe film SLR and got the same result. The flash has a deficient design. There is no secret hot shoe language.*

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/358861-issue...ml#post4176958

Steve

* Surprisingly, there are a number of ways that cameras manage the sync circuit. Some leave the circuit closed until the shutter is fully cocked for the next shot (not uncommon on true vintage gear where contacts are physical switches thrown by shutter action). Others open the circuit almost immediately or wait until the trailing curtain completes its travel (with would be typical with electronic shutters). In the end it is simple binary logic. On the other side are flash that may or may not begin a charge cycle without gating that event on the shoe state. On my K-3 the circuit is held closed until the trailing curtain completes its travel. My Yongnuo YN560 III begins its charge cycle immediately after discharge regardless of sync state, but defers discharge until the sync circuit opens and closes again (smart flash).

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-13-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Accuracy and completeness
01-13-2018, 01:34 AM   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I solved my problem by selling all my Pentax gear and going with a company that supports its customers. The 3 years of nonsense from company reps about tethering, and then killing that little indy dev's tethering app that used to work was the last straw for me. Honestly I have never be happier.
I'm glad you've found something that works for you, even if it's with another brand. Honestly, I don't think any camera manufacturer is great with support for its consumer level customers. I say that as as shooter of Pentax and Sony, with friends who shoot Nikon, Canon and Olympus (and I'm guessing FujiFilm and Panasonic probably aren't much different)

However, I did solve this issue before that. And it IS a Pentax issue, not the flash. The flash works finer, it is the camera that is communicating in non-standard language.
Hopefully Steve's response above addresses this point

The whole point of the Viltrox was not having to shell out the 100s for a big name ringlight. Metz and Pentax are seriously overpriced like most flashes, despite their quality. You should have options.
It's nice to have options, but Ricoh / Pentax can't be responsible for the availability of compatible third-party equipment - nor guarantee that it will work correctly. Pentax gear isn't cheap, but it mostly works as advertised As with lenses and pretty much any other accessory, there's always a slight risk with third-party equipment that there will be some compatibility problems (again, I experience that with Sony too).

Good luck. I love the folks around here but Ricoh sucks. Good riddance.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, of course - but most of us are rather satisfied with Ricoh / Pentax. As with any brand, what works for most doesn't work for all.

Good luck to you too, and once again, glad you've found a brand that suits you
01-13-2018, 05:21 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes - Pentax still make their Ring Flash - if you've got a spare K or so lying round.
DCW have it for AUD$579.
Pentax AF 160FC Macro Ring Flash | Digital Camera Warehouse