Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Viltrox JY670 ring flash - K5iis can only fire flash once, K7 is fine

I just got the Viltrox ring flash and it seems fine except that on my K5iis, the flash will only fire once each time the camera is switch on. Subsequent shutter releases do not fire the flash. - has anyone experienced this with a flash mounted on the hotshoe or do you have any idea what the cause could be? I've never actually tried an external flash on the K5iis before. I may try another standard flash I have - to see if the behaviour is the same.

The Viltrox flash is very bright - I had to cut it down to the 1/8 ratio setting to get an image which was still about 1 stop over exposed at sync speed and f22.

Curiouser and curiouser - my Sigma flash sems to work ok on the K5iis, although the TTL feature doesn't seem to work despite having the right connectors. However, the Viltrox works fine on the K7! What the...? Is there some setting on the K5 that I need to change to get it to work with a non-dedicated flash? It would be sad if I can't use this ring light with my best camera!

PS Should this thread be in a K5 forum rather than a flash forum?

Last edited by RobG; 03-16-2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: more info
03-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I had a similar problem to the one you describe with a brand new K7 and a also new Pentax AF160FC ringflash - the Pentax K7 would fire one frame with flash, and all the subsequent frames the ringflash refused to fire. All I had to do it update the firmware and afterwards the flash behaved correctly. I have not had a single issue with the Pentax AF160FC ringflash on the K5IIs - though be sure you are pushing the flash shoe in as far as it can go.
03-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I had a similar problem to the one you describe with a brand new K7 and a also new Pentax AF160FC ringflash - the Pentax K7 would fire one frame with flash, and all the subsequent frames the ringflash refused to fire. All I had to do it update the firmware and afterwards the flash behaved correctly. I have not had a single issue with the Pentax AF160FC ringflash on the K5IIs - though be sure you are pushing the flash shoe in as far as it can go.
Thanks! How bizarre that the situation is reversed for me - works on the K7 but not the K5! I've been resisting updating to 1.03 of the firmware but I'll try it now in case it has some effect.
03-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tried updating the firmware and there was no change in the behaviour with the flash. I've tried changing a few settings but nothing seems to work. I also discovered that I don't need to turn off the camera but I do need to turn off the flash and turn it back on the take another frame with the K5. I have tried both the K7 and K200D and they both work normally. The flash is definitely seated properly. Looks like I'll be stuck with using the flash on the other cameras.

03-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Or you could just sell the Viltrox JY670 ring flash and get a Pentax AF160FC - only kidding. I hope your issues are resolved, I had to wait a while before my issues with the AF160FC and the K7 were resolved by firmware updates.

just a question what is the flash power range on the Viltrox ringflash? I frequently use the AF160FC at low power settings for fill flash, but I wished it had a manual setting lower than 1/16th:

Pentax K7 - Pentax FA*200mm f/4 ED [IF] MACRO - pentax AF160FC ringflash + Wireless AF540FGZ
03-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Or you could just sell the Viltrox JY670 ring flash and get a Pentax AF160FC - only kidding. I hope your issues are resolved, I had to wait a while before my issues with the AF160FC and the K7 were resolved by firmware updates.
It seems that others have problems with non-Pentax flash units and the K5, so maybe a firmware update will solve it. It's unlikely to be a priority for them however - if their own flashes work, they're likely to say exactly what you did above. Looks like I'll have to go back to the K7 for this flash. I checked again and the TTL feature of the Sigma flash does work with the K5.

QuoteQuote:
just a question what is the flash power range on the Viltrox ringflash? I frequently use the AF160FC at low power settings for fill flash, but I wished it had a manual setting lower than 1/16th
It goes to 1/128th.

Last edited by RobG; 03-16-2013 at 03:19 AM. Reason: correction
03-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
FWIW I did a quick test using the flash with my K7 and a DA35 limited macro and it's not really a good combination; the short focal length lens means that the subject is a little too close and isn't properly lit. It depends on your subject of course; the problem I'm talking about is when the lens is within about 10cm of the lens. Looks like I need that 100mm macro lens. :P
09-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
FWIW the latest 1.05 firmware doesn't resolve the problem with the flash not being triggered properly by my K5iis. The flash only fires the first time. To get it to fire again, you have to turn the flash off and on again.

02-24-2014, 01:34 AM   #9
RJH

Same problem

I have the same problem with the same flash. Bizarrely, it works fine if I first mount a Cactus V5 trigger between the camera and the flash (the trigger is just a pass through in this way).
02-24-2014, 03:41 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RJH Quote
I have the same problem with the same flash. Bizarrely, it works fine if I first mount a Cactus V5 trigger between the camera and the flash (the trigger is just a pass through in this way).
Thanks for letting me know! I'll look that up!
02-26-2014, 06:27 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Is there still an issue using this flash with the K5iis?
02-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Drake Avenue Quote

I recently sold my K-5IIs. Even with the latest firmware it wouldn't fire properly (same issues as above). Works like a dream on my K-3, go figure.
02-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

There have been some threads about compatibility issues between Yongnuo flashes and the K5. This might also apply to the K5/II(s) as well as to other 3rd party flashes. The following thread gives a hardware modification that also might work in this specific case: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/162331-mounted-yn-560-flash-problem.html . It might require some trial and error.
02-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Drake Avenue Quote
For me, yes.
09-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #15
Forum Member

This is crazy. I am having the exact same problem with my K-3 and my K-3ii. But my K5iis works perfectly. What version firmware has everyone been running?