Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Off camer flash stands

I have been on BH and Adorama for the poast 30 minutes and now I have a headache. I have two AF360's that I want to use off the camera controlled by an AF540. The questions is, how in the hell do I get them on stands? Am I going to have to by new tripods and heads and a hot-shoe adapter for this? Is there no one out there selling a 'flash stand' or am I just looking in the wrong places on these sites?

03-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Buddha:

I've just recently gone through the process of buying some flash stands, umbrellas, and umbrella brackets on e-bay. After doing that and paying for the sometimes exorbitant shipping charges, I came across this deal at BH which may be just what you're looing for.

IMDFUMK | B&H Photo Video

All things considered, I think it would be hard to beat.

Hope this helps

CN
03-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hot damn... I was looking in the wrong place. That is an awsome kit... and the price is very very right. SOLD!
03-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #4

Damn CN beat me to it. That impact set is more or less your best bet. Decent quality stands, brackets and umbrellas for a great price! Highly recommended.
Take a look here.

Thanks

03-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

i massively improvised

i already had the high end gorillapod, so i added a second. I tried the sunpak cheapie, but it literally broke as i took it out of the packaging, so i got another gorillapod.

why these? well, why not. they flex, i can put them anywhere, and both of my off camera flashes mount to them thanks to the radio triggers im using

sure, i miss out on the umbrella piece, but i can manage. hard to beat two lighstands at that size, IMHO
03-05-2008, 01:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What jmdeegan said. I love the Gorillapods, and use them for wireless flash in all sorts of situations. In lieu of umbrellas, Sto-fens! It all fits in a small compartment in the shoulder bag/backpack with hardly any fuss and very minimal weight.
03-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Clem for showing me that kit, I just ordered it today, and thanks Mikhail for posting that link I ordered the cold-shoe replacements that were mentioned in that thread.

03-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #8

mpex.com has great kits which are endorsed by strobist.com
03-13-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I am interested in getting this kit for my brother but I am having a difficult time with the B and H "search" feature finding the Stroboframe coldshoe mentioned in this thread. Would someone be so kind as to post a link to the correct one?

Thanks for the help,
Robin
03-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Robin:

It's your call, obviously, but if it were me, I think I'd forego the Stroboframe coldshoe until I got the Impact kit. It's probably a plastic mount which means it can be broken if handled carelessly, but it might serve you well for years. If after receiving the kit you still want the coldshoes, go to here: Amazon.com: Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount: Electronics

Yours FWIW

CN
03-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
Forum Member

Clem.

Thank you so much for the reply. I will take your advice, however, and wait to see if they are needed. I am just relieved to know for sure which ones were being referred to in the post. I searched B and H until I had a headache! lol

Robin
03-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I have been on BH and Adorama for the poast 30 minutes and now I have a headache.
This is what you are looking for...

ACBSWCP Photoflex Shoe Mount Multiclamp with Umbrella Holder for Mounting Small Flashes to Light Stands.

Have a look t the following link to see more clearly that this is what you are looking for.

FlashZebra.com: Umbrella Adapter (also called a Swivel Bracket) (Item #0041)

No wonder you have a headache. I bought mine from Adorama and it took me 15 minutes to find this again.

woof
03-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
Forum Member

Woof,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to look that up! No joke, I spent over an hour at both B & H and Adorama and my head was just spinning. LOL

Thanks again,
Robin
03-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It came yesterday and I put it all together today. Very nively made. The cold shoes that came with it didn't look like they belonged with the set, they were tiny silver clamps, that for me felt like i needed to be a dwarf to unscrew as the bolt used to tighten it was too small for my hands, glad I made the upgrade.

I will set everthing up this weekend and take some shots, self portraits and stills for the photo contest this month. I am so excited!!
03-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

congrats! Can't wait to see some shots. What are you using for flash set
ups?