Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #1

Westcott Apollo 28" softbox vs Ezybox clones

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey all.

I'm looking to buy a softbox. I'm new to off-camera lighting. Right now, Henrys has the Westcott Apollo 28" softbox kit with stand on sale for $150. Okay, this isn't super cheap, but it's still fairly reasonably priced. I've also been looking at the Lastolite Ezybox, which is more than I'm willing to spend. Fortunately, there are a number of knock-offs on ebay for around 50 bucks (most shipping out from China/Hong Kong).

I was initailly leaning towards the Apollo, but I've read that it's difficult to tilt downward. Plus, I would have to open up the softbox everytime I need to change flash settings. The Ezybox clones, on the other hand, are really compact when collapsed, since it uses a wire frame design.

Anybody have any experience with the Ezybox clones? I'm wondering how they compare to the Apollos, which seem to be quite popular.

Thanks!

04-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you're new to off camera lighting, why not save yourself a whole ton of cash and just use an umbrella?

If you're dead set on a softbox, here are my thoughts on the ones you've mentioned:
Apollo: really nifty, well designed and easy to use, good light
Ezybox: Also quite nifty, Somewhat more punchy light than the apollo due to smaller size. I prefer the mounting method of the Apollo over the ezybox
Ezybox knockoffs: cheap, it'll get the job done although don't expect it to take a beating or be as hassle free as the other two
04-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I briefly considered an umbrella, but since I'm working in a small studio (aka, my living room), I'm concerned about light spillage, so a softbox seems like the best bet.

It looks like Cowboy Studio has a 24" Ezybox clone for 48 dollars, and one with a grid for 59. Does anyone own one of these? I'd be interested in whether these are any better than the ebay clones.
04-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Inactive Account

More control with softboxes...

You definitely get more control with your softboxes, so it depends what you're trying to achieve. You'll love the 28" Apollo Medium or Apollo Orb, but if you like the rear entry flash concept. Definitely check out our new Rapid Box Series which doubles as a softbox and beauty dish (with the add-on $19.90 deflector plate). Hope this helps! -Brad

04-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

These umbrella control spill like a softbox but at about 1/2 the price and has a larger surface area. I love mine.

Soft Brolly Box Reflector

Tim
04-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. That umbrella softbox looks nice, but it doesn't look like you can attach a speedlight to it.

I'm looking for something that's portable, as I may use it on location. It's one reason why I like the Ezybox design.
04-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wizzywig Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. That umbrella softbox looks nice, but it doesn't look like you can attach a speedlight to it.
You can see how I attach my flash unit in the following Pentax Forum DIY article I wrote.

DIY Horizontal Flash Bracket

This is the umbrella bracket/holder I use on the light stand.

Adorama Universal Swivel Holder - Umbrella Bracket with Adjustable Flash Mount

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 04-04-2013 at 12:43 PM.
04-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #8

I've done my considerations about them on my blog

Diary of a Photographer: little considerations on softboxes

I have both Eazybox clones (the Phottix easy folders) and Apollo style octagons as far as 5 umbrellas.

It really depends on what you're shooting and how you're doing it.

While the apollo are faster to setup you need to do the small boom mod in order to have them working properly, and what I really don't like is having the flash inside, but on the other side I can (and do) use 3 flash brackets with them and have more power and faster recycles.
The easy box is more rugged, overall has a better design and double buffle, but it's difficult to use more than one speedlight with it, and the hassle is in the bracket, I had to find a workaround for that and the ligh spill at the back (again check my blog).
What I like about the easy folder is that it as a bowens adapter that ships with it, and since I'm looking forward to upgrade (someday in the future) to quantuum dual power strobes (which have bowens mounts) it makes it future proof (and avoids me having to buy more softboxes)
04-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the advice! Yes, the ability to access the flash easily was one of my main considerations (especially important since I'm just starting out).

Anyways, I opted for an Ezybox clone from a place called "studio-98", which should arrive in a week or so.
04-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You could have opted for a photek hot shoe diffuser kit
I got one a couple weeks back, and it's great, more control like a softbox since it has an attachable diffuser panel on the front
Photek Softlighter Hot Shoe Diffuser Kit (46") HSD-50K B&H

You can get smaller models too. Very flexible device.
04-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Wizzywig Quote
Hey, thanks for the advice! Yes, the ability to access the flash easily was one of my main considerations (especially important since I'm just starting out).

Anyways, I opted for an Ezybox clone from a place called "studio-98", which should arrive in a week or so.
Lastolite has changed the brackets in the new line of Eazyboxes, reason being youl'll discover the ballhead design has a quirk

here is my way of working it around

Diary of a Photographer: For Ezybox - Easy-Folder Type of Softbox Shooters

I've even heard of people suggesting cutting the piece of metal off, but I don't think it's a good idea.