Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Off camera flash - macro

I am sure this has been addressed before, but I don't know if it is exactly what I am looking for. Now that I have most of my macro gear assembled, I am looking to add off camera flash to the equation. What I know about flash can be written on the inside of a match box with a Magic Marker. [That just shows you how old I am ]

I am considering a two flash set-up similar to this Really Right Stuff-Flash Brackets for Telephoto Flash. I read the thread/article on the different flash units that were available at the time it was written. I also read the B&H article too.

This set-up should be able to work with either my D FA 100 mm F2.8 or the recently acquired Sigma 180mm F3.5 macro lenses. Forget the ring light, the Sigma lens barrel is just a tad under 3 inches. The dual flash units would be ideal for the fill-in flash.

What I am trying to find out is whether to use two Pentax units or two non-branded units such as from Sigma or Metz. What would you recommend and why? I want to be able to take advantage of the off camera flash capabilities of my K-5. I was looking through the manual last night page 195 Multiple Flash Shooting Using Extension Cords, of 375! From the Flash Accessories on pages 346 & 347, it appears that Pentax has the additional pieces I would need except for the flash units. What I don't know is whether this and the accessories on page 346 & 347 would only work with the Pentax flash units or the other brands too.

God what a change from my old Spotmatic manual that had only 29 pages.The only flash that I used at that time was the Honeywell Tilt-A-Mite I am sure it still works, but finding those little bulbs would be problematic.

Jay

04-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I prefer manual flash for macro. In part that is because I do a lot of focus stacking, and want the flash output to be the same from shot to shot. I also don't always or even usually have an A-capable lens on the camera, so can't use P-TTL. Manual flash also happens to be a lot less expensive. I get a lot of mileage out of a pair of these:

Sunpak PF20XD reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

The fiddly part is coming up with a rig that gets the flashes where I want them. Currently I'm using a cheap-ish flash bracket and some mini-ballheads. I'm also experimenting with flex arms. Nothing near as elegant as the RRS rig in the article you linked, but as much as I am a RRS junkie I have held off on their flash stuff, simply because of cost.

I don't have any bulbs for the Tilt-a-Mite, either.

04-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I've had good luck using an off-camera promaster 7500EDF, and also old quantarys too. The Quantarays are actually pretty great, you can find em pretty cheap on fleabay. Look for the quantary MS-10 or something like that.
04-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have no experience, but Macro is something I'm interested in the future and have read about on the board.
You may want to check out Post #23 on https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/108162-...g-flash-2.html
(Lots of other DIY set-ups on the whole thread as well). When I get a macro lens - that is what I'm planning on trying first...