Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #1

Metz Mecablitz 15 + Pentax 100mm WR macro compatibility?

Hey all, my first post. Loving the forum .

I noticed in a few threads some people mentioning the Metz Mecablitz 15 MS-1 ringflash adding significant weight to the Pentax 100mm WR macro's front end, thus possibly damaging the object. Can someone confirm this? I just switched from the Canikon world to Pentax (K-5 II) and would like to find a good, all-around flash for bug / plant photography. I've saved up some money so I could even go as far as getting the Pentax ringflash, but the Metz is half the price and people seem to like it..

Any experience with the Metz 15 + 100mm WR combo?
Could I possibly find an extension tube so that I could attach the Metz like the Pentax ringflash is attached, eg. to the lenshood attachment?

And also, what do you think about using a Metz/Pentax ringflash for bug photography? I'd like to have something really portable, so having a huge macro rig with two flashes and all that stuff seems kind of overkill for me.
As a sidenote - people seem really nice and helpful around here! Some photog forums are from a different world .

Cheers

04-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by klnk Quote
I noticed in a few threads some people mentioning the Metz Mecablitz 15 MS-1 ringflash adding significant weight to the Pentax 100mm WR macro's front end, thus possibly damaging the object.
Do you mean damaging the lens, the flash or the subject of the picture?

I don't have that flash but I checked and the weight is 7oz +/- so not light but I cannot imagine that causing damage to the lens. I have a Pentax AF080C ring flash, which is not nearly as heavy as the battery compartment sits on the flash shoe. The Metz works with P-TTL so that is a plus, it uses 52mm threads I think so you will also need a step up ring for the DFA 100mm.
what do you think about using a Metz/Pentax ringflash for bug photography? I'd like to have something really portable,
I use my AF080C for that and flower pictures as well. Any rig like this is going to feel bulky compared to bare lens though. My flash has no adjustment left/right so the images can be a little flat, a reflector can help but that's more fiddling.

I'm sure someone else will have more info, but I would not worry about the weight.
04-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Do you mean damaging the lens, the flash or the subject of the picture?

I don't have that flash but I checked and the weight is 7oz +/- so not light but I cannot imagine that causing damage to the lens. I have a Pentax AF080C ring flash, which is not nearly as heavy as the battery compartment sits on the flash shoe. The Metz works with P-TTL so that is a plus, it uses 52mm threads I think so you will also need a step up ring for the DFA 100mm.

I use my AF080C for that and flower pictures as well. Any rig like this is going to feel bulky compared to bare lens though. My flash has no adjustment left/right so the images can be a little flat, a reflector can help but that's more fiddling.

I'm sure someone else will have more info, but I would not worry about the weight.
Ah, I meant damaging the the lens; Metz is attached on the filter slot, and the front of the lens protrudes, so added weight might be bad for the motor.. The Pentax ringflash is attached to the hood thread.

Thanks
04-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Metz is attached on the filter slot, and the front of the lens protrudes, so added weight might be bad for the motor.. The Pentax ringflash is attached to the hood thread.
Ok, maybe I'm having a senior moment but there is no filter slot on the DFA 100mm. Filters screw onto the front threads. The hood is bayonet and has it's own mount. The Pentax ring flash threads onto the filter threads, it is 49mm not bayonet.

04-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The Pentax ring flash threads onto the filter threads, it is 49mm not bayonet.
You're probably referring to the AF080C.

The Pentax AF160FC ring flash includes a mount adapter that is bayoneted (the same way the hood is) to the D-FA 100mm WR Macro and to the D-FA 50mm Macro. With this adapter, the front element of the lens doesn't have to bear the weight of the ring flash.

I'm looking for an inexpensive alternative of the hood for the D-FA 100mm WR Macro (PH-RBE) so I can make a similar adapter for my Sunpak DX-12R. Unfortunately, a genuine copy of the PH-RBE hood will set me back $45 and there is no clone available.

Last edited by SOldBear; 04-11-2013 at 06:43 PM.
04-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
You're probably referring to the AF080C.
Oh I see. Yes I am, that's what I said I was using. I've never seen the AF160FC so I did not know it had a bayonet mount.
Unfortunately, a genuine copy of the PH-RBE hood will set me back $45 and there is no clone available.
Have you checked Pentax parts to see if they have the adapter itself available? Probably a long shot but you never know.
04-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #7

Ah, I meant damaging the the lens; Metz is attached on the filter slot, and the front of the lens protrudes, so added weight might be bad for the motor.. The Pentax ringflash is attached to the hood thread.

Thanks
Using af for macro is already damaging for the brain let alone the lens motor....

04-13-2013, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Neo_ Quote
Using af for macro is already damaging for the brain let alone the lens motor....
"Macro" lenses are not just for maco. D-FA 100mm WR Macro is a great lens for portrait (head shot).

Ring light is not just for macro. It's often use for portrait for the shadow halo effect.
04-13-2013, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #9

"Macro" lenses are not just for maco. D-FA 100mm WR Macro is a great lens for portrait (head shot).

Ring light is not just for macro. It's often use for portrait for the shadow halo effect.
Sure but I don't think he wants to take bugs head shots if you read the 1st post.
Yes I know the portrait part, I've tried this option with my sigma 105 and metz 15 but have mixed feelings about it, in any case for what it's worth, on my camera with this combination you can clearly feel and hear the af motor is straining, the slotted screw drive is not made to push and pull that weight at the end of an extruding lens, so I avoid it in any case.
I think this answers the original question
04-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Neo_ Quote
Sure but I don't think he wants to take bugs head shots if you read the 1st post.
Yes I know the portrait part, I've tried this option with my sigma 105 and metz 15 but have mixed feelings about it, in any case for what it's worth, on my camera with this combination you can clearly feel and hear the af motor is straining, the slotted screw drive is not made to push and pull that wait at the end of an extruding lens, so I avoid it in any case.
I think this answers the original question
Oh, damn iphone . That's exactly what I was asking for! Thanks for clearing things out!