Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I have both a full featured Sigma P-TTL flash and an older Vivitar flash from my film days that supports manual, TTL (not P-TTL), and auto-tyristor (the "T" part in the AF280T flash). With an auto-thyristor flash, the flash has its own light sensor and uses it rather than a flash sensor built into the camera body to determine adequate exposure. With auto-thyristor you run in either manual exposure or aperture preferred exposure - set the same F-stop setting on both the camera and the flash .... and that simplicity works rather well for a lot of general flash uses.

In fact, with the addition of a Seagull SYK-5 optical slave, I can use my old Vivitar flash off-camera almost the same as my much more expensive Sigma wireless P-TTL flash. Again, you have to understand the limitations, but you can't beat the simplicity.
Thanks Jim, I am a real beginner so I guess the only thing to do is to play around with it and see what it will do. Where abouts on lake Superior are you located, I am in Windsor Ontario so not a million mlies away.

Steve

04-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sbyrne Quote
Thanks Jim, I am a real beginner so I guess the only thing to do is to play around with it and see what it will do. Where abouts on lake Superior are you located, I am in Windsor Ontario so not a million mlies away.

Steve
Hey Steve- you should update your profile to include a location. For others reading this post, Windsor is so far as I know, the only Canadian city adjacent the continental portion of the United States whose residents look north to see into the United States. It is a quirk of the Detroit River.

I live on the Keweenaw Peninsula - directly across the Lake from the Sibley Peninsula located on the east side of Thunder Bay. Sadly, I spent 2.5 hours this morning moving snow. Usually by this time of year most of our snow is gone and I might be raking our yard. Most of our yard is still over 1m deep, and I have snow piles along the curb 2m - 3m high. Check it out at Agate Reef

Would you send a note to your fellow Provincial citizens on the other side of the Lake that they can turn off the cold air machine anytime now?
04-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Hey Steve- you should update your profile to include a location. For others reading this post, Windsor is so far as I know, the only Canadian city adjacent the continental portion of the United States whose residents look north to see into the United States. It is a quirk of the Detroit River.

I live on the Keweenaw Peninsula - directly across the Lake from the Sibley Peninsula located on the east side of Thunder Bay. Sadly, I spent 2.5 hours this morning moving snow. Usually by this time of year most of our snow is gone and I might be raking our yard. Most of our yard is still over 1m deep, and I have snow piles along the curb 2m - 3m high. Check it out at Agate Reef

Would you send a note to your fellow Provincial citizens on the other side of the Lake that they can turn off the cold air machine anytime now?
sorry to hear about the weather!! it is a balmy 70 degrees here today, I know Thunder Bay my son went to Lakehead University there so we had some time up there, sure is a beautiful part of the country, you have so many photo opportunities I really envy you. I have put the request for the change in weather to the committee, and am sorry to say they elected to keep the good stuff this side of the lake. I will go in and update the profile later.

steve
04-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Does Windsor have a Pentax dealer? I don't think there are any in Michigan. I like Windsor, and a shop with Pentax gear would be a really good reason to put up with the hassle of crossing the border when I visit family in the Detroit area.

04-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Jim
the only dealer I am aware of is Henrys which is opposite Devonshire Mall. They have a little Pentax gear but not huge amounts. If they know you are coming and there is a specific item you are looking for they will bring it in from another store or from the warehouse. it's a shame there is nothing in Mi as I am over at least once every 6 - 8 weeks.

Steve