Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Give me a clue

Ok folks
I have a k-x and am looking to improve on the built in flash, as money is tight due to an upcoming wedding (my son) I am asking for suggestions/recomendations. I am a newcomer and have had teh camera for about q year, I have no professional aspirations and my interests are mainly outdoor, birding, fishing and walking the dog.
What would you suggest?
Thanks in anticipation

Steve

04-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steve,

There are some really great videos and tutorials on youtube on using the on-camera pop-up flash. You don't need anything super fancy to get better flash photos, look into some DIY pop-up flash diffusers or Gary Fong pop-up flash diffusers.

Here are some videos to give you some ideas:

04-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And if you are looking for a little more flash for next to no money take a look at Pentax AF200T, it is older and NOT P-TTL but it works pretty good in the auto mode and of course in manual if you learn that. I have three and the most I paid for any of them was $25.00, they are very small and weigh little.

If you want to go full P-TTL then the budget goes up quite a bit.
04-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And if you are looking for a little more flash for next to no money take a look at Pentax AF200T, it is older and NOT P-TTL but it works pretty good in the auto mode and of course in manual if you learn that. I have three and the most I paid for any of them was $25.00, they are very small and weigh little.

If you want to go full P-TTL then the budget goes up quite a bit.
Better yet are the older Promaster flashes; they are seriously underrated. (I think they also sold similar ones under Quantaray).
I picked up my Promaster 5750DX for next to nothing on Ebay and it is GREAT; no P-TTL so you have to use manual, but it swivels, tilts, zooms and all that great stuff. Also recently purchased a second Promaster for $5; the 5500- it is a step down from the 5750DX, but it still has swivel and tilt.
Both of my Promasters have the Pentax module, Module PX AF and they work with my DSLRs no problem.

So if on camera flash is not enough for the OP, he should definitely take a look at some of the older flashes that are available.

04-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

All good suggestions, but it doesn't sound like you want to play around with manual flash. For manual, you have to know how to balance the flash power with the ambient lighting. This can be fun, but it's not for everyone, and it almost always involves a few iterations "chimping" on the LCD.

A flash that has a built in auto (thyristor) mode makes things a lot easier than pure manual, but you still need to watch your lens aperture (to match/balance what the flash thinks), and hence your shutter speed (so as to not exceed sync speed). And then some flashes have auto modes with multiple power settings (for different apertures), which is a great tool if you know what you are doing, but can add complexity.

If I interpreted things correctly, then P-TTL really probably is your best option. You can always set that to auto (thyristor) or manual mode, if you want to expand your horizons later. As you probably know, they're not cheap.

By all means, if you are willing to experiment, don't let me dissuade you from going with a manual/auto flash.
04-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies folks, I have had a quick look on the net but no great deals about I will just keep checking, Julie thanks so much for the links, they really opened my mind as to what is possible.
Once again, thanks all

steve
04-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know about prices in the US, but in Europe I would suggest to look for a Metz 32MZ-3 with a Pentax module (SCA 3701 or SCA 3702). It not only has tilt and swivel, it also connects well with Pentax cameras; in Metz Auto it can read the aperture and zoom set on the camera and adjusts itself accordingly, and it will automatically force the camera to set a useful shutter speed.

For extended use of tilt maybe a somewhat stronger (but more expensive) model could be better, the Metz 40MZ-2 comes to mind.

In Germany, the 32MZ-3 often sells for less than €30.

Of course, no pTTL with both of them.

04-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sbyrne Quote
due to an upcoming wedding (my son)
I hope you don't plan on being the photographer at that particular wedding

If you want to go cheap, the best solution is to find a used Pentax AF280T. Auto modes, very reliable, well designed, communicates with the camera.

If you want the cheapest PTTL, then a Sigma 500, 530 or 610 ST DG. No fancy modes, again reliable, a little more perks than the 280T. I just sold a 530 ST DG for 100$ roughly. New is more but affordable.

If you want the best bang for your buck, there are a few Pentax AF540FGZ currently on offerr in the marketplace. More expensive, more functions than you will ever use, but you will be able to grow into the flash and learn as you go.
04-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I hope you don't plan on being the photographer at that particular wedding

If you want to go cheap, the best solution is to find a used Pentax AF280T. Auto modes, very reliable, well designed, communicates with the camera.

If you want the cheapest PTTL, then a Sigma 500, 530 or 610 ST DG. No fancy modes, again reliable, a little more perks than the 280T. I just sold a 530 ST DG for 100$ roughly. New is more but affordable.

If you want the best bang for your buck, there are a few Pentax AF540FGZ currently on offerr in the marketplace. More expensive, more functions than you will ever use, but you will be able to grow into the flash and learn as you go.
No I think I will watch and learn from the pro!!
04-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

sbyrne you say??
It's funny to encounter people online who share your name

You must be an awesome guy!
04-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
sbyrne you say??
It's funny to encounter people online who share your name

You must be an awesome guy!
Where are you located

Steve
04-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbyrne Quote
Where are you located
Australia.

I am always surprised at how many sbyrne's there are online. For years I've been routinely getting accidental emails for them on my Hotmail, for example, from all over the world - Ireland and the US mainly.
04-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Australia.

I am always surprised at how many sbyrne's there are online. For years I've been routinely getting accidental emails for them on my Hotmail, for example, from all over the world - Ireland and the US mainly.
I am originally from England (Irish father' hence the Byrne) but moved to Canada 10 yrs ago.

Steve
04-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just got an AF280 T on e bsy so I hope we will be very happy together, thanks for all the input folks

Steve
04-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I have both a full featured Sigma P-TTL flash and an older Vivitar flash from my film days that supports manual, TTL (not P-TTL), and auto-tyristor (the "T" part in the AF280T flash). With an auto-thyristor flash, the flash has its own light sensor and uses it rather than a flash sensor built into the camera body to determine adequate exposure. With auto-thyristor you run in either manual exposure or aperture preferred exposure - set the same F-stop setting on both the camera and the flash .... and that simplicity works rather well for a lot of general flash uses.

In fact, with the addition of a Seagull SYK-5 optical slave, I can use my old Vivitar flash off-camera almost the same as my much more expensive Sigma wireless P-TTL flash. Again, you have to understand the limitations, but you can't beat the simplicity.