Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can Pentax flash system do this?

Hi all,

I have got a couple of friends who own Nikon D70 and a friend who has got Canon 20D. I have seen on occassions when flash is required, they are able to take consecutive/continuous shots with their flash (either built-in or external). However I find that with my DS, I will have to wait for the flash to recharge which usually takes a few seconcs. My questions are:

1. CAn I do the same, ie consecutive/continuous flash shots, with my DS (with built-in or external flash (AFG360))?

2. If yes, what settings do I need to change?

Thanks

Kenny

01-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The length of time needed for recycling/recharging the flash depends on the power source, the circuitry and any safe-gaurding circuitry which may prevent over-heating.

If a flash has not totally discharged-a full power/full duration pop-then it can be recycled fairly quickly. Mastery of exposure settings and some decent existing light are all that is required. Sorry, I'm not going to give you a set of master aperture/shutter/iso settings---they don't exist. Such usage is extremely hard on batteries, flash tubes and circuitry--hence the need for protective circuitry.

Of Pentax flashes, only the 500 and the 540 can be powered externally (by design). This extra capacity is often deemed necessary for rapid recycling/recharging. The 540 has a timer protection circuit---it will NOT rapid fire as you desire. The 500--not suitable for newer K series 100,110,10 cameras can rapid fire on a PZ1p, 6-10 times in very rapid succession-depending on exposure settings and needs.

In short your answers are: (1)NO (no(no)). (2)Won't do it, nothing to change.

But: The 360 using a lower power output: 1/4 or less, will fire very quickly for several pops. Achieving a lower power setting can be done manually or via the automation with appropriate aperture/shutter/iso settings and decent existing light. It's strictly a YMMV situation.
01-11-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks John. Really appreciated for the info.

cheers
Kenny