Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #1

Metz 52 AF1 issue with K-5

Hi there,

I have just bought the Mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital for Pentax, I am using K-5 (firmware 1.14) and when using the flash in PTTL and PTTL HSS modes on the flash display there is no aperture indication, no matter if the flash head is in normal position or tilted sideways/upwards. I am wondering if that is a bug presumably fixed with firmware update or this is a flash issue and needs service? Also again in PTTL mode when the flash is on the camera, I cannot set aperture and ISO through the flash menu. Those settings appear on the flash menu only when the flash is off camera (PTTL selection), but in this way I don't see the purpose of setting them.
When the flash is in SLAVE mode again they disappear on the menu.

Additionally, when the flash is set to be in PTTL HSS mode occasionally the flash fires by itself. It seems the strobe is at very low power, but I don't have any idea why it is doing this as I am not touching any controls on the flash or on the camera.

any comments would be appreciated

04-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PTTL Pentax-ThroughTheLens...? => aka. Auto settings
And you want to configure the settings manually?
You can change the focal length manually, but I don't understand what is meant by the aperture on the flash...
What mode are you using on the command dial?
04-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi I am using Av.

Regarding the my first question - according to the flash manual it should display the selected aperture (from camera) on its LCD (flash). It does not
Regarding the second one - I have no idea why there are such settings on the flash in TTL mode but yet again, there is a menu on the flash where you can select F number and ISO. You basically have the flash in PTTL mode and you still have those options. BUT when you attach the flash to the camera they disappear. What wonders me is what is the purpose of those. Note they do not appear in manual mode on the flash or in slave mode, but only in TTL/TTL HSS mode only when the flash is detached from the camera
Hope I made it a bit clearer
04-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by yozo Quote
Hi I am using Av.

Regarding the my first question - according to the flash manual it should display the selected aperture (from camera) on its LCD (flash). It does not
Regarding the second one - I have no idea why there are such settings on the flash in TTL mode but yet again, there is a menu on the flash where you can select F number and ISO. You basically have the flash in PTTL mode and you still have those options. BUT when you attach the flash to the camera they disappear. What wonders me is what is the purpose of those. Note they do not appear in manual mode on the flash or in slave mode, but only in TTL/TTL HSS mode only when the flash is detached from the camera
Hope I made it a bit clearer
it sounds similar to the 58, but in theory in TTL mode you don't need them because the dialog between flash and camera should tell the flash how much light to push out based on exposure and the camera's settings and not the flashe's.
I'm pretty sure my 58 also does not display the selected aperture when in P-ttl mode but I'll have to check because I don't remeber.

04-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I have the 58 AF-1 and can confirm that when attached to the camera mine doesn't show the aperture that you have set in Av mode either. I'm no expert but as far as I'm aware, you would only want to see this when you have the flash off the camera as you need to tell the flash your aperture so that it can tell you the distance to use etc. When it is on the camera, the camera is already telling the flash what aperture you have set.

Therefore when my flash is NOT on the camera I can set things like aperture, ISO etc. Actually I think "set" is the wrong word, I am telling it what settings I have on my camera so that it can tell me what distance the flash should be from the subject to get the right exposure. I can configure those settings in all the different modes. Side note: However, I haven't got my head around how TTL or Auto work when the flash is off the camera as I thought those modes all relied on them talking to eachother when the shot is taken. I need to figure that one out. Anyway, at least I can tell you that I am able to configure those settings in all modes when the flash is off the camera on mine.

EDIT: I found this which explains off camera TTL pretty well. http://www.f1point0.com/2008/07/22/the-nuts-and-bolts-of-off-camera-flash-part-3-ttl-wireless/

If I attach it to the camera then I cannot configure these things as the camera is automatically telling the flash what settings I have configured. The flash therefore just tells me the distance based on what my camera settings are.

As for randomly flashing - mine doesn't do that. That sounds odd.

Last edited by thechumpen; 04-15-2013 at 09:08 AM.
08-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Metz 52 AF-1

I am not sure if I make out from the discussion whether the flash is good for the K-5. I was more interested in the Wireless HSS, and use the 52 AF as a commander/controller for a Metz 50 AF.
08-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I also have the Metz 52 AF-1 and can confirm mine also does not display the aperture on TTL or HSS. I have a K-30 running firmware 1.04 (latest) and the Metz is running version 1.0 (this was the latest on Metz's website as of a few weeks ago).

08-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #8

I am more concerned about whether the wireless hss works. I also have another problem with 50 AF-1 and wireless p-ttl. I upgraded the firmware to 4.0 an now the slave 50 af-1 does not fire the main flash. The per flash is firing. Now I want to rollback the upgrade and Metz tech support is just hard to get to. Any help will be appreciated.
09-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yozo Quote
Additionally, when the flash is set to be in PTTL HSS mode occasionally the flash fires by itself. It seems the strobe is at very low power, but I don't have any idea why it is doing this as I am not touching any controls on the flash or on the camera.
I am bringing this old tread back as I have this firing by itself problem. Any solution for this or I should contact Metz support?

Thanks.