Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Compatibility issues w/Sigma flash & Pentax K110D

Someone here has previously mentioned to me that I might run into problems using a Sigma EF-500 DG ST flash with my Pentax K110D. However, before buying the flash I made sure that it was compatible with my camera, and according to Sigma's website, it is. To be precise, the site states that this flash is compatible with the Pentax K100D but other than the Shake Reduction on that camera there isn't a difference (that I'm aware of) between the K100D and K110D.

Anyway, the flash powers up and fires when pressing the test button but, other than that, the flash doesn't appear to be compatible one bit. It will not fire under any mode or setting, and I fear I've made a huge mistake buying this thing. Why did I buy the Sigma EF-500 over the Pentax AF-360 flash? The Sigma EF-500 swivels and the Pentax AF-360 doesn't, not to mention the price difference between the two (and the Pentax AF-540 is too pricey for me right now).

Could someone, anyone, please take a look at these shots below and tell me if you see something I don't? Or, am I just a blooming eejit who doesn't know what he's doing?

Flash shoe, notice the amount of contact points:

Hot shoe on camera (not as many contact points, right?):

Doesn't appear as if it's even seated properly, although it's in as far as it will go:

I'll readily admit that I've never owned a camera with an external flash, so maybe I just don't know what I'm doing. Have I not attached the flash properly, or is this indeed a compatibility issue? I've already emailed Sigma about this but have yet to get a response. Would someone please point me in the right direction and/or show me the error of my ways?

Thanks.

01-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

did you get one that's made specifically for pentax...?

they dont have universal ones..they make specific ones for specific makes...
01-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
did you get one that's made specifically for pentax...?

they dont have universal ones..they make specific ones for specific makes...
I assume by that you mean that there are different flash shoes for different camera makes?

EDIT: Nevermind, Jon...thanks for pointing that out. The one I have isn't made for a Pentax after all...I just found out it's made for a Canon! I'll just sit here now and proceed to kick myself...ouch.

Looks like I'm a blooming eejit after all.

Last edited by Cavan; 01-09-2007 at 09:22 PM.
01-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're in the USA and only a short time has passed since purchasing, then there is an implied guarantee of merchantability: basically you know what you want(ed), requested same and didn't get it---take it back for an exchange. Don't try using it again!!!!

And please check-out some of the other flash threads on this forum; you may re-think the need for a swivel head unit. At least until you become proficient with the basic controls. Then look for someplace like 'the Strobist' before you jump to another purchase. Tilt and swivel are poor substitutes for taking the flash off camera--then neither really matters.

01-10-2007, 03:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That is not a Pentax hotshoe configuration. Check the box it came in. It should have a label that identifies the unit as a "PA-TTL" flash. If it doesn't, return it for a correct Pentax compatible version. Well, return it anyway, as that is obviously not a Pentax compatible flash.