Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
In reality your lighting conditions are absolutely predicable and unchanging, this is made for manual mode... man up!
I'm convinced I must be doing something very wrong. So many excellent photographers, who's work I admire, keep offering advice on shooting hockey that I just cannot make work for me. The lighting in the neighborhood rinks my kids play in is so inconsistent that with my K-r in M mode, I felt like I had to keep an eye on the meter in the viewfinder and use the thumb-wheel to adjust on-the-fly while tracking the action with both eyes open. For me, the Tav mode on the K-30 has been a dream come true because with a little EV+/- adjustment, I can let the camera monitor the ISO and I can get much more consistently exposed results around the entire ice surface. It leaves me free to concentrate on anticipating and framing the action.

QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
I generally shoot at ISO 800
Here's another eexample. At ISO 800 I'd need such a slow shutter speed that all the action would be blurry. I rarely am able to get below ISO 3200 at the rinks around town and that's using my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8! Either the rinks in other cities are lit like college and professional arenas or I'm just missing a big piece of the puzzle. My minimum shutter speed is 1/320 for Squirt travel and that feels slow for my Bantam-aged player's games so I've been known to go as fast as 1/500.

04-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Ah. That's the problem! You must be a Michigan Troll (lives below the bridge) rather than a Yooper (north of the bridge). Yoopers take their hockey much more seriously. [it is a Michigan joke folks]

Suggestion? Meter the ice at various points prior to the game. What you are looking for is the relative difference in lighting, not the actual exposure (unless you WANT gray ice! ). Set your camera on manual and select an exposure for the middle light level and keep one finger on your e-dial to shift your aperture up or down as you track the action. It will be a good test if you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

But seriously, even if you miss making a couple exposure adjustments, you may still salvage a useable shot adjusting the over/under exposure in post processing.

In Michigan Tech's ice arena - and I assume many NCAA Division I schools - strobes have been mounted above the ice and official photographers trigger them with RF triggers. Exposure is all pre-determined so all they need to worry about is focus and composition.
04-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
Here's another eexample. At ISO 800 I'd need such a slow shutter speed that all the action would be blurry. I rarely am able to get below ISO 3200 at the rinks around town and that's using my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8! Either the rinks in other cities are lit like college and professional arenas or I'm just missing a big piece of the puzzle. My minimum shutter speed is 1/320 for Squirt travel and that feels slow for my Bantam-aged player's games so I've been known to go as fast as 1/500.
Well I'm shooting pro-teams, but they're generally community rinks. Some of them are lit very well. My usual one isn't lit that great that. As I said, 800 and 1/320 is my fastest there, but other ones, 800 and 1/750 is possible.
04-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Ah. That's the problem! You must be a Michigan Troll (lives below the bridge) rather than a Yooper (north of the bridge). Yoopers take their hockey much more seriously.
Well troll, flatlander, fudgie or whatever eh? We take it pretty seriously down here in da mitten too now don't ya know!

04-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
Well troll, flatlander, fudgie or whatever eh? We take it pretty seriously down here in da mitten too now don't ya know!