Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #1

Mecablitz 54 MZ3 with Pentax KIIs ?

Hi,

I have the Mecablitz 54 MZ3 flash unit with the SCA 3702 M adapter for Pentax, which I use with my Pentax film cameras (MZ3 and MZ7).
As I'm now contemplating the purchase of a Pentax KIIs, I'd like to know if the flash will also be usable for this camera.
Judging by the photos, the layout of the hot shoe contacts is the same, but what about the camera vs. flash electronics? Will it work at least with some limited possibilities?

Thanks for your opinions.

04-16-2013, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

You can use the 54MZ-3 in manual, and in "smart" auto mode (the flash takes ISO and aperture settings from the camera, and sets shutter speed on the camera depending on the lens's focal length).

Trailing shutter curtain sync is also supported.

No TTL, no p-TTL, no HSS.

I use my 54MZ (I have several copies, -3 and -4) more than my AF540FGZ.
04-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with SOldBear. I had the MZ4 but read up on the capabilities of both.
05-20-2014, 01:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
You can use the 54MZ-3 in manual, and in "smart" auto mode (the flash takes ISO and aperture settings from the camera, and sets shutter speed on the camera depending on the lens's focal length).

Trailing shutter curtain sync is also supported.

No TTL, no p-TTL, no HSS.

I use my 54MZ (I have several copies, -3 and -4) more than my AF540FGZ.
Hi SOldBear,
I've come back to the thread after a year or so. I've been using the flash unit with my new Pentax KIIs in the A mode. Everything works well, only there is some underexposure, especially when I use it bounced from the ceiling (the histogram ends at about 3/4 to 4/5 of the scale). I usually have to increase the exposure in Lightroom by about 2EV (I'm shooting in RAW).
I've tried to trick the unit into an increased output, but in the A mode it doesn't seem to be possible (e.g. setting ISO100
on the unit while having ISO400 on the camera).
Is there some trick how it could be done in the A mode?

05-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As ISo is set via the SCA module that won;t work.

use Ev compensation
Turn the setting disk to select the required function (ISO /Zoom / Flash Exposure Correction „EV“) on the righthand side of the LC display.

Adjust Ev companestaion to correct exposure
05-21-2014, 01:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
As ISo is set via the SCA module that won;t work.

use Ev compensation
Turn the setting disk to select the required function (ISO /Zoom / Flash Exposure Correction „EV“) on the righthand side of the LC display.

Adjust Ev companestaion to correct exposure
Hi awaldram,
thank you for you advice. I think, however, that I've already tried that. Although the EV compensation could be set, the result was the same.
But I'll give it another try.
05-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Mmmm almost sounds like 'A' mode is not working.

I'll give it a go on mine

metz 54 mz3 + 3702M in auto smart on K3

first image default 2nd +3ev

looks good to me, I did have to press mode and select when first using 'auto smart' as it didn;t switch straight away on attaching 3702 module though showed auto zoom / aperture / iso did not alter from camera until i pressed mode and select .
then 'A' flashed and all camera controls burst into life.

Last edited by awaldram; 12-23-2015 at 08:32 AM.
05-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well, I've made a few tests. I was shooting against a wall with a light-tone wall paper.
1. If the flash is used in frontal mode (judging by the reflection on the screen it was the mode that you used in your test), the exposure responds very well to the exposure correction on the flash. Every increase in EV compesation shifts the histogram to the right.
2. With bounce flash (it was bounced off the ceiling), however, the shift is negligible, corresponding to my previous experience.
3. I also tried a combination of bounce flash and secondary reflector. Here, the change from 0 to 1EV caused some small shift in the histogram, the change from 1EV to 2EV almost nothing.
It seems that the increased output in the bounce mode doesn't have a corresponding effect on the reflection from the wall. Maybe if the bouncing were done off another wall close behind the camera, the result could be better. But it's the situation which is rarely found in practice.
05-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by perseus Quote
Well, I've made a few tests. I was shooting against a wall with a light-tone wall paper.
1. If the flash is used in frontal mode (judging by the reflection on the screen it was the mode that you used in your test), the exposure responds very well to the exposure correction on the flash. Every increase in EV compesation shifts the histogram to the right.
2. With bounce flash (it was bounced off the ceiling), however, the shift is negligible, corresponding to my previous experience.
3. I also tried a combination of bounce flash and secondary reflector. Here, the change from 0 to 1EV caused some small shift in the histogram, the change from 1EV to 2EV almost nothing.
It seems that the increased output in the bounce mode doesn't have a corresponding effect on the reflection from the wall. Maybe if the bouncing were done off another wall close behind the camera, the result could be better. But it's the situation which is rarely found in practice.
Sound like the extra power needed to provide +EV when bounced is exceeding the flashes power

Remember the GN required to bounce is the bounce distance + the reflectivity of the refector.

also the flashes GN is at max Zoom so if not at full zoom power is consderably reduced by dispertion
05-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yes, it's probable, I was also beginning to think that the flash simply couldn't give more output in this setting.
When I get down to it, I can try a similar setting with a shorter bounce distance.
Anyway, thank your for your time.