Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

Bracketing with flash?

Hi all

I have a k30 and a Metz af50-1. Is there a way to set it so that the camera brackets with flash - first exposure with flash, then next 2 exposures (1 under, 1 over) without the flash? Hope that makes sense! Thanks!

04-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could turn the flash off after the first exposure
04-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
You could turn the flash off after the first exposure
About the only thing I can think of as well. You can set your camera so that it automatically takes all the shots in the bracket with one press of the shutter, or you can set it so you have to press the shutter for each frame. That will allow you to turn off the flash unit after the first frame. But I'm not sure why you'd want to, kind of defeats the purpose of bracketing, doesn't it?

Now on the Metz, at least on the 58 AF-2, there is a way to fire the flash at three different levels. So for instance if you wanted a 50/50 flash to ambient balance, you would set the camera to manual mode so that the meter reads a 1 stop under exposure, then take three shots in a row, and the flash might fire at full, half, and quarter power.
06-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Now on the Metz, at least on the 58 AF-2, there is a way to fire the flash at three different levels. So for instance if you wanted a 50/50 flash to ambient balance, you would set the camera to manual mode so that the meter reads a 1 stop under exposure, then take three shots in a row, and the flash might fire at full, half, and quarter power.
hm, how do you do that? I have the 58-2, how would I set this up?

Thanks

06-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
hm, how do you do that? I have the 58-2, how would I set this up?

Thanks
It appears to only work in one of the automatic modes, either TTL, pTTL, or A mode. I've had the most success with A mode and with the camera set to manual due to the unpredictable nature of pTTL.

When you're in one of those automatic modes at the "main menu" on the flash unit, hit "sel" and arrow down until you see FB. Hit enter and it will display FB 0. Arrow up and down to set the 'width' of the bracket in stops, then hit enter. So for instance if you set it to FB 1, the flash will fire at three different levels on the next three shots. The first shot will be the "correct" exposure, the next will be one stop under, and the last will be one stop over.

It doesn't seem like the user has any say-so in the order of bursts, they always go 0, -1, +1, and there are only three shots in the sequence. Also, after the three shots, the flash will exit bracket mode, and if you want to do another bracket, you have to re-enable it. Some users will find this behavior annoying, others will think it a Godsend.
06-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That's pretty cool, thanks!