Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jman02 Quote
That being said, they recommended to buy a flash of your cameras brand.....
Based on my hands-on experiences with the Sigma EF530 DG Super and Metz 48 AF-1, I'd say that's probably good advice, especially if you need advanced functionality. If you don't, the Sigma in the US or the Metz in Europe can save you a lot of money and still do a great job.

And meanwhile, there's the deal-breaker issue of the swivel — for me, a bigger deal than HSS-in-Av mode, etc.

QuoteQuote:
They only have one store that even carries the Metz and claimed they had issues with them on DSLR cameras due to the sensors were designed for film cameras. He did say that some of their newer models may have changed.
Yes, good of them to equivocate, because indeed the newer Metz models are designed for digital cameras and P-TTL.

QuoteQuote:
My gripe to him was the NO SWIVEL as I mentioned here on the AF 360. He claimed that yes the AF-360 is being closed out at many dealers, but he didn't think they would have a replacement for it until the fall.
Hmm. Interesting rumor. Hope it's true.

QuoteQuote:
He said Pentax has gotten kind of behind on their accessories since the merger with Hoya.
Hmmmmm. Not sure I buy that, 'cause it's not like there was a flood of accessories two years ago.

QuoteQuote:
He did mention there is a bracket you can purchase for the Af-360 that will allow it to swivel.
Well, you can get a big wrap-around bracket thing, yeah. Bulky, and not cheap for a nice one. Might as well just get the AF540FGZ.

Anyway, thanks for relaying the interesting information. I do hope Pentax really is listening about the swivel head.

And while I'm busy hoping they're listening I'd also love to see a really compact tilt/swivel flash equivalent to the Olympus FL36. Not the fastest or most powerful, but easy to just take along. This will go nicely with the future Pentax response to the E-420.

03-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is power adjustment steps important? What are its uses?
03-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Thanks Matt, your insight is appreciated. I am still a novice, trying to learn, but have limited time with a heavy workload and two young kids. I am an industrial electrical technician(electrician)......so I am teachable......I just need more time to play, read up and some trial and error. Sounds like you have some knowledge in the photography field.