Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-07-2013, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another successful antennae mod, thanks to some folks @ Strobist and Instructables

Okay, it's probably old news to most of you senior members but...

ZOIKS!!!

I had solid, reliable, line of sight transmission for 50 yards and, if I found the right spot, up to a hundred yards!!! I set my flash up on a small short brick wall by the sidewalk in front of my place, crossed the street (5 lanes) went down to the corner of that block, and crossed the street to the corner of the NEXT block, then walked yet another few yard more!

Good thing I live in a nice neighborhood because anyone walking by could have nicked my Sunpak 433D, sitting unattended, just flashing away, and they would have had a block and a half head start for the chase.

One thing to note, however, I was testing the Tx and Rx without the camera, just using the button on the Tx to trigger the flash. It will be interesting to see, based on a question from another thread about latency or "propagation delay" how it performs with regard to shutter speed. I'll try this with the camera tomorrow and see if the signal transmits fast enough to keep sync at 1/180.

To be continued...

Here's credit where credit is due, of course...

Increase effective distance on 'ebay' flash remote trigger transmitter with antenna
Strobist: Next, They'll be Using Nitro
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/63856254@N00/348236022/

... and a couple of pix of the finished mod. Uncoil it for use, then use the pen you keep with your notepad (you do keep notes don't you) to coil it back up when you're done.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-08-2013 at 11:48 PM.
05-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is some distance Yes keep us posted
05-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, I'm so stoked I couldn't wait till tomorrow. All the pix were taken using a "normal" focal length, 28mm (44.8 @ FF) and a shutter speed of 1/180 at ISO 12800. I inserted a Roscoe gel into the TELE-FIL KIT attachment's filter slot for shizzles and giggles (it fits a treat). I also nestled the flash into the top of a shrub instead of so close to the ground as before. I didn't care about anything much else as as you can tell. I didn't feel dealing with the auto focus so I manually focused rather poorly and I let the exposure fall where it may. These shot's ain't about that. They are about the, "ZOIKS!"
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-07-2013 at 11:58 PM.
05-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But wait...

There's more!

(Oh, I realized the shadows being cast were from a streetlight. I think. Right? I mean, it's a Sunpak 433D, not a 20k HMI.)

These were taken a few yard up the NEXT block.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
05-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You know now I want to get 6 or 7 of them, climb power polls and attach them to the street lamps
05-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster

You must have noticed how close to a controlled intersection all this took place. Yes, I imagine there were several people stopped at the light who were wondering why their picture had been snapped by a (non-existent) traffic cam and yeah, I might have known that could happen. I must point out, however, that several of the local constabulary drove by during all this without a second glance.

BTW, seven of these would cost you less than a lot of single units alone:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004KIUJF4/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Back to business.

A couple of deviations from the instructions as published in the links above:

I used a Dremel tool on "low" to drill the hole instead of a soldering iron; I'm one of those "right tool for the job" guys. I also completely removed the original antennae and soldered mine directly to the circuit board. I used a 12 1/4" length of 20 gauge, solid, wire. Got it from Rat Shack.

If you want to play around with lengths and subsequent distances to try and improve on your performance start with a piece as long as you like and vary your distance as you snip away tiny bits off the length. Or, alternatively, you could just do the math.

Take a close look at were the components lie underneath the casing, you'll want to drill your hole toward the very front of the casing.

Now that I've done this simple mod may have a go at installing one of these:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/28502132@N05/2745727684/lightbox/

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-08-2013 at 12:03 AM.
05-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ahhh i just love these dirty dirty backyard hacks :P

05-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I like such DIY Hacks too... But what's the photographic use of this one?
05-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

05-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stuff like this:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/ironrodart/6285137959/

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/jpn/4127439565/

Lost America | Night Photography of the Abandoned West
05-08-2013, 01:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ah yes, those a truly cool images!
05-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They are indeed. I hope to be making a few of my own soon. Still some gear to test before heading into the dark of night to visit the mountain spirit. Weather needs to clear up also.
05-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I sense somebody who is also into amateur (ham) radio? For his next project, MD Optofonik will be mounting a directional Yagi antenna on Tx and Rx and going for the one mile range!

Seriously though - good work!
N8XJT
05-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
For his next project, MD Optofonik will be mounting a directional Yagi antenna on Tx and Rx and going for the one mile range!
You may be onto something! I suspect this guy works at the JPL in Pasadena, and if he doesn't he should.
05-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You may be onto something! I suspect this guy works at the JPL in Pasadena, and if he doesn't he should.
Afraid not, BUT...

... my neighbor does. There is something wonderful about living in an age when I can ask the guy next door, "How's things on Mars" with no irony and get the equally un-ironic, and quite serious reply, "They're good. It's pretty amazing up there." For all practical purposes, he commutes to Mars every evening for work. I wonder if he even realizes his place in the history of humankind.