Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Second Flash HSS

Sorry if this is a dumb question and I should research this more.
I own a Metz 50-af1 and use HSS for hummers and macro and was wondering if I bought another flash and used the Metz as a slave is there any way to have both at HSS and if so what flash and triggers would I need ?
Cheers Travis

05-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you need either a Pentax 360 or 540 to act as a master for wireless HSS. At present, I don't think any other flashes can accomplish the task, even though the Metz 58 was supposed to.

The good news is you don't need triggers, the bad news is you couldn't use triggers even if you wanted to. Pentax decided to implement HSS as a part of pTTL, and at the moment there are no wireless triggers that transmit pTTL commands, with the possible exception of the Aoktech RF system.
05-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
The Sigma EF610 DG Super can act as either a HSS master or slave for wireless P-TTL photography according to its manual.
05-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The Sigma EF610 DG Super can act as either a HSS master or slave for wireless P-TTL photography according to its manual.
Anybody confirm it really works?

05-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
From the manual...

Page 20
USING THE SIGNAL OF BUILT-IN FLASH AS A TRIGGER.
*it is possible to use High Speed Snychro photography. Please set flash mode of camera as High Speed Synchro (W HS), as explained above and refer to instruction manual of the camera for details.

Page 21
USING THE SIGNAL OF THE FLASH THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE CAMERA AS THE TRIGGER
It is possible to use the signal of the EF-610 DG Super PA-PTTL flashgun that is attached to the camera for triggering another EF-610 DG SUPER PA-PTTL apart from teh camera. This only works with 2 pcs or more EF-610 DG SUPER PA-PTTL. flashguns.
*It is also possible to use High Speed Synchro photography. After the above-mentioned setting please set flash of controller as High Speed Synchro. Please refer to High Speed Sychro photography section for more details.
==============================

Personally, I have little use for HSS flash due to its limitations. I have not tested any of this with my Sigma 610 Super.

While the manual hints that you can do HSS flash using the body's built-in flash and the Sigma unit, I have my doubts based on other posts here that the built-in flash will send the proper HSS signals when used as a controller. However, if the built-in flash WILL support HSS flash with the Sigma 610 Super, then that potentially makes it a more versatile flash than Pentax's own units. Conversely, I have no doubts that you can use a pair of these Sigma flashes for off-camera HSS flash. That would be consistent with how the Pentax flashes work.