Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

But that guys says in the comments that on the Pentax camera he's using the Nikon transceiver, not the Canon one... so I bought the wrong one.

Today I got it to work about 10 times in about 300 tries, but that was but connecting a simple wire to my K-5's hotshoe, and then connecting the transceiver to the end of THAT... but like I said, 10 times in 300.

06-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
Hi guys,
You both seem to know a bit about it, and I was wondering if you could help me out:

Here's my story with the RF-603s. I bought the RF603-C because having used my Yongnuo YN-560 (version 1) on my mate's Canon camera, I figured that the hotshoes wouldn't be a problem, compatibility wise, I mean if a flash works on both a Pentax and a Canon, then it should work with a transceiver that is for Canon, right? That's what I thought at the time.
Anyway I have tried absolutely everything and I cannot get it to work. Unfortunately, the problem seems to be with my Pentax camera/Yongnuo non-intelligent flash, than with the trasceivers, because I can remote control the shutter, using the provided cable in the shutter cable socket and using the transceivers (came out weird but you guys get what I mean, I think.) In other words, they transmit and receive signals just fine, but they won't fire my flash.

The nearest I have got it to working is if I mount the transceiver on the camera BACKWARDS (so the thing sticks out over the LCD screen) then when I hit the shutter button, it does at least fire the light in GREEN, which means it gets that there is a signal. It doesn't happen if I mount it the correct way around. But even the wrong way around, the flash on the receiving end will not fire. Oh and yes, the channels are set to the same one.
Even hitting the test button on either transceiver, will not fire the flash on the other one...???

I am wondering - even though they are only $27, buying ANOTHER set makes them effectively $54, which I'm not so happy about, so I'm wondering - if I buy a NIKON set, and use a Nikon one as the TRANSMITTER (attached to my camera), will the Canon ones still work as RECEIVERS?
Or have I got it all wrong entirely and need to start over... (e.g. is the problem the flash being a non-intelligent one or something) Thanks, appreciate your help.
Hello Quazimoto,
I have no idea about the RF-603C. When I bought RF-603 I just based on Kdre said in the above post, so I chose the N version. Anyway, after seeing the first set worked flawlessly, I went ahead and bought one more set and this Camera Shutter Release Control Remote Cord Cable Switch?canon EOS 400D 350D 300D | eBay so I could use its cable. With that shutter release cable/switch I had 1 cable but I need 2 for my K-20D and K-30, so I cut the 2 cables included with RF-604N to make 1 cable to trigger one more camera (inside the cable were 3 small gauge wires with different colors and just needed some tidy soldering). Yesterday, I checked out the set up.......with 2 transceivers on hot shoes of 2 cameras and 2 Yongnuo YN560-II on top, and a AF-540FGZ on another transceiver on stand. With a transceiver in hand, I could trigger both the cameras at the same time and 3 flashes all flashed.
Well, that was only a quick check and I did not have cards in the cameras to see if there was any problem with syncing time between shutter and flash, and between the 2 cameras too. I only saw the quick displays on the rear LCD and they looked good. Later tonight if I have time I will do the recheck to make sure everything works in sync.
06-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
But that guys says in the comments that on the Pentax camera he's using the Nikon transceiver, not the Canon one... so I bought the wrong one.

Today I got it to work about 10 times in about 300 tries, but that was but connecting a simple wire to my K-5's hotshoe, and then connecting the transceiver to the end of THAT... but like I said, 10 times in 300.
Looks like you are OK. Here you go:

4, The RF-603 Nikon version and Canon version can be used together
If your have 2sets RF-603 but you lost one receiver for Canon version, it's no need to buy other receiver, you can use the Nikon receiver and Canon transmitter together. ( Note: the hot shoe of transmitter should be compatible with the hot shoe of camera when you use them together. )

Yongnuo RF-603 N1 RF603 N1 Wireless Flash Trigger/Remote | Yongnuo Store
06-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #19

@Quazimoto
that guy uses the 603 nikon version on pentax, and the canon version on a canon and 3 flashes, obviously mixing the nikon and the canon versions, and it works...
the 603 for canon will not work on a pentax camera as transmitter, i tried that and it didnt work, the nikon version thought seems to work... now about the receiver part, they seem to work no matter what version you have on camera (canon or nikon)...
all in all, if you buy a nikon version to put on your pentax hotshoe as a transmitter, and use the others as receivers, regardless if they are canon of nikon, the system will work fine.

06-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Yeah I understand the receivers would work no matter what, but the problem is I have the Canon version so I have no Nikon one to use as a transmitter.
06-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #21

sorry if i misunderstood you... well... i'm afraid you'll have to buy a nikon tranceiver... they also sell them as singles so you dont have to buy the pair and pay as much...
or, you can do the hack that pigmy's friend did ... it seems to work nice...
06-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by obscura Quote
sorry if i misunderstood you... well... i'm afraid you'll have to buy a nikon tranceiver... they also sell them as singles so you dont have to buy the pair and pay as much...
Hi Obscura, thanks.
I can't seem to find the RF-603 model in a single only... ? But I can in the 602 model - they are both 2.4 gHz, will using the 602 as a trigger and the 603 models as receivers work?

2 4GHz Wireless Yongnuo Flash RF 602 RX Receiver FR RF602 Trigger TX Canon Nikon | eBay

Thanks.

06-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #23

the 602 wont work...
here ya go : YONGNUO Single Transceiver of RF-603 Shutter Release & Flash Trigger for Nikon | eBay
06-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by obscura Quote
Thank you.
These listings don't show up on eBay Australia unless you trick it into thinking you're not in Australia (even if you turn on 'show worldwide', it still doesn't).
06-10-2013, 02:26 AM   #25

mkstudio

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
Thanks Obscura. I already ordered a C1 shutter trigger cord and one YN-603III flash on ebay. But the flash I ordered I am having trouble with seller Mkstudio, seems like he does not want to ship the item. People should stay away from this seller.
Interesting what you say about mkstudio. I purchased numerous items (softbox, light stands etc and a YN 560III) from this seller in beginning of Feb this year, just before Chinese NY. Items were delayed because of this and they were marked as shipped end of Feb. Tracking showed 3 parcels, which two were recd in a reasonable timeframe. The missing one was one with the flash, contacted them via ebay and was given different reasons - customs , post etc - for delay. Also made suggestion of refund, but I wanted the item and the others with it.

The parcel was the only one that had no tracking info. Anyways, they eventually re-sent it and I recd it just last week - 5 months after the order being placed.
06-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
Interesting what you say about mkstudio. I purchased numerous items (softbox, light stands etc and a YN 560III) from this seller in beginning of Feb this year, just before Chinese NY. Items were delayed because of this and they were marked as shipped end of Feb. Tracking showed 3 parcels, which two were recd in a reasonable timeframe. The missing one was one with the flash, contacted them via ebay and was given different reasons - customs , post etc - for delay. Also made suggestion of refund, but I wanted the item and the others with it.

The parcel was the only one that had no tracking info. Anyways, they eventually re-sent it and I recd it just last week - 5 months after the order being placed.
Wow, 5 months ..... That was a long time. Mine has been 6 weeks and now is shown in the tracking that it has arrived at ISC of USPS at Los Angeles.
I think they did not have any on hand but put it on auction anyway, then when someone bought one, they then run around to find one in the local and most of the time there was not.
May I have a question Mark........ Was your YN-560III arrived in brand new condition ?
06-12-2013, 02:12 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
Wow, 5 months ..... That was a long time. Mine has been 6 weeks and now is shown in the tracking that it has arrived at ISC of USPS at Los Angeles.
I think they did not have any on hand but put it on auction anyway, then when someone bought one, they then run around to find one in the local and most of the time there was not.
May I have a question Mark........ Was your YN-560III arrived in brand new condition ?
Ken - yes, it is brand new condition. No issue with the quality of any of the items I purchased from them. The 5 months was from time of initial order to actual receipt. Once marked at posted, was 4-6 weeks which is normal I think.
06-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markl62 Quote
Ken - yes, it is brand new condition. No issue with the quality of any of the items I purchased from them. The 5 months was from time of initial order to actual receipt. Once marked at posted, was 4-6 weeks which is normal I think.
Thanks Mark, mine just arrived today. I am glad that they shipped it, and when checked everything worked as intended.
06-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #29

just received the 603 nikon version, they work at full sync speed 1/180 with the yn560iii, i'm a happy camper now :-) thank you guys !
also i have to say that i had good experience with mkstudio ... i checked my purchase history, and it seems i once bought some stuff from them
06-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Im also looking for a flash trigger in the 20-30 $ range for my Pentax K-5. Is Yongnuo RF603 among the best options in this price class?
Consider the Cactus V5. There is a quick comparison to the RF-603 in the review.