Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #46

yes you're right, either will trigger your flash, but you wont be able to use the 603's as remote camera trigger with these cables...

09-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #47

Brilliant, that sorts that out , now for Amazon.....Many thanks..
09-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I recently bought two sets of these, 4 receivers & 2 transmitters (one transmitter is a backup) for about $20.00US each set. I did a quick antenna mod on the transmitters to extend their range to about 100 yards LOS and am a very happy camper. The transmitters also work with my flash meter when attaching a transmitter via the supplied cable. I posted some links and pix on another thread.

Cheaplights NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger and 2 Receivers Set for Canon Nikon Pentax,OTT-04GY:Amazon:Camera & Photo
Can you point me toward the link/thread. Id like to modify mine for that distance
10-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by retirw4896 Quote
Can you point me toward the link/thread. Id like to modify mine for that distance
Have to warn you off the PT04's a bit. They were a fine alternative before the newer inexpensive 2.4ghz triggers we have today. I have 12 Rx and at least 5 Tx units (talking PT04's here). Problem with them is you have to mod them to get close to a bit of consistency. Without the mod the trigger rate can be under 25% under the right conditions. And the range is SHORT.

If you are using inside in a studio setup they're OK but as the 2.4ghz triggers can be had for around $30 for a set of two transceivers (tx/rx all in one) I see no reason to cheap out on the bottom rung of the trigger family tree.

I grabbed the Yongnuo YN603 N3's to use with the YN560 III flashes as they have Rx for the YN603 built into the flash. So that leaves plenty of transceivers for my other el cheapo flashes. Now I can roam a solid 200' - 300' from my flash setups and get a 100% trigger rate. Of course that is open ground but I can almost always get at least 125' of range. The PT04's are lucky if they can provide 35' outdoors usually around 15'-20' max and under a 50% trigger rate.

What I wish we could buy are the Phottix triggers that allow for setting up flash-groups (basically just 1 or more flashes on a different channel) that can be selected on the Tx unit . But they don't seem to have a Pentax version though I suspect the Nikon version would work much like the YN603's for Nikon.

Nice rumor about the Yongnuo option is they coming out with a new flash and triggers which will let us manually-remotely setup each flash in our setup from the transceiver. Rumor about that rumor is the YN560 III's will be fully functional with the new system. I am hoping maybe by next year we'll see that option.

Oh, build quality, the YN603's are SOLID and extremely well built. Same for the new flashes like the YN560 III's...they feel as solid as my Canon speedlights when i shot Canon. For $70ish bucks the YN560 III is a great value if you do not mind fully manual flash.

Shortcoming of the YN603's are you can no longer fire the flash by pressing a button on the Tx unit. That's a feature of the PT04's I used A LOT. I'm hoping for a mod to a allow this as if you simply short across two of the pins on the Tx unit the flash will trigger...these days I have up to 15 flashes lighting a scene but might be using a long exposure where I want each "group" to trigger individually during a shot. But it just won't work with the 603's...so it's multiple shots using a different Tx and channel then a merge in post. This is the one and only drawback of the 603's that I've found to date.

12-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote

Playing with the AF540FGZ, I can only get the flash to fire in A, not in M mode. It doesn't work with P-TTL but that was expected.
Hi,

I have purchased some 603 triggers and am having exactly the same problem with my Pentax 360 flash only being triggered in auto mode and not manual mode!!

Does anyone know a solution/ workaround?

I'd be hugely grateful for any help.
12-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #51

Just a little note - it triggers my Pentax 330 flash in its manual modes (mh and ml) using the same 603 trigger, so I suspect it is a compatibility issue with the newer Pentax 360 flash
12-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
garnetgarnet asked the same question on pentaxuser.co.uk

I've made the suggestion there to interrupt the additional communication pins between receiver and flash and/or between transmitter and camera. garnetgarnet did the hard work of implementing it and the flash now seems to work in M mode.

see wireless flash trigger ; my suggestion and motivation is a few posts earlier on the page

02-25-2014, 05:09 AM   #53

RF603ii

Has anyone had the chance to try out the new Yongnuo RF603ii triggers? They explicitly say they work with Pentax. I plan to buy a set but don't know which shutter release cable is compatible - is the Pentax plug the same as the Cannon? & If do, which one?
02-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Webbi Quote
Has anyone had the chance to try out the new Yongnuo RF603ii triggers? They explicitly say they work with Pentax. I plan to buy a set but don't know which shutter release cable is compatible - is the Pentax plug the same as the Cannon? & If do, which one?
The C1 cable (2.5mm plugs on both ends) is compatible with Pentax. I have an RF-603C II and an RF-603N II, and in TX mode, both work fine as a trigger on Pentax bodies. In TRX mode, only the N version works as a trigger on Pentax, same as the original version.

I've posted a review of the RF-603 II here:

Yongnuo RF-603 II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database