Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #1

Trigger Yongnuo RF603 on Pentax K5

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,
i've read a lot of post in this forum about this question, but i still can't reach a final statement:
is the Yongnuo RF603 compatible with Pentax K5? If yes, which type (C or N)?
Yongnuo official site declares that the C1 version (for Canon) is also compatible with Pentax, but someone in this forum told that he used the N version.

Thank you

05-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Yongnuo RF-603's
Seem no.
05-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #3

The hot shoe of the N version is compatible with pentax, but the included cable isn't.

The cable delivered with the Cx version is compatible with pentax, but the hot shoe isn't.

So you want the N version and buy a cable if necessary.
05-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Im also looking for a flash trigger in the 20-30 $ range for my Pentax K-5. Is Yongnuo RF603 among the best options in this price class?

05-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently bought two sets of these, 4 receivers & 2 transmitters (one transmitter is a backup) for about $20.00US each set. I did a quick antenna mod on the transmitters to extend their range to about 100 yards LOS and am a very happy camper. The transmitters also work with my flash meter when attaching a transmitter via the supplied cable. I posted some links and pix on another thread.

Cheaplights NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger and 2 Receivers Set for Canon Nikon Pentax,OTT-04GY:Amazon:Camera & Photo

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-20-2013 at 06:51 PM.
05-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My RF-603 N3 just arrived, tested, worked perfectly with my K-20D and K-30. No problem with curtain to 1/180". The included shutter trigger cable does not have the right connector to connect to either camera .
05-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
DIY: modifying Youngnuo RF603 wireless flash tigger

Link: DIY RF603

My friend modified YN RF603 C like this link and tested on Pentax camera ...work.. OK.

Last edited by pigmy; 05-24-2013 at 11:40 PM.
05-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
My RF-603 N3 just arrived, tested, worked perfectly with my K-20D and K-30. No problem with curtain to 1/180". The included shutter trigger cable does not have the right connector to connect to either camera .
wow, i gave the rf603's Canon version a try and they didnt work, so i sold them, after that i bought the rf-602's and they work alright, but in order to get 1/160-1/180 without curtain issues i have to use a rubberband to halfpress the transmitter button...

I liked the 603s, and my canon friends use them without issues (actually they use the ones i sold them) i like the fact that they operate with AAA batteries and they feel more solid compared with the 602's...
Ken i wanna ask you if yours worked out of the box or did you hack them ? do you use pc-sync or they work from the hot shoe, it would be great to have compatibility with the others you know... i'm thinking if i should give the nikon version 603's a try as well...
05-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Obscura, the RF-603N I ordered just worked right out of the box without hacking or mod to it. Since they were transceivers then I just hooked 1 to the hot shoe and one to an YN 560-II, the kit worked without a problem even when I pushed shutter speed to 1/180". The included cable did not have the right connector to plug in Pentax camera so I went to order this Camera Shutter Release Control Remote Cord Cable Switch?canon EOS 400D 350D 300D | eBay then I can either use it to trip the shutter or use the cable with one of the RF-603 to trip the shutter wirelessly.
05-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

Thank you Ken, seems that the canon version uses different pin layout... i ordered a nikon pair... also you gotta try the YN 560III same as the II version but with integrated receiver and you can use the 602 or the 603 (you choose which one from the menu), the yongnuo products are unexpectedly good for the money...
05-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks Obscura. I already ordered a C1 shutter trigger cord and one YN-603III flash on ebay. But the flash I ordered I am having trouble with seller Mkstudio, seems like he does not want to ship the item. People should stay away from this seller.

Last edited by Ken T; 05-26-2013 at 03:57 PM.
05-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #12

hmm i bought my 560III from dream2buy and had no problems, at that time he was cheaper... but the price went up...
also... i found this guy YONGNUO Manual Flash Speedlite YN560-III for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Fujifilm | eBay but i think its too good to be true... 0 feedback and such a low price.. fishy... i dont know about mkstudio, from a quick view of the profile they seem legit... did you try to contact them?
05-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by obscura Quote
hmm i bought my 560III from dream2buy and had no problems, at that time he was cheaper... but the price went up...
also... i found this guy YONGNUO Manual Flash Speedlite YN560-III for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Fujifilm | eBay but i think its too good to be true... 0 feedback and such a low price.. fishy... i dont know about mkstudio, from a quick view of the profile they seem legit... did you try to contact them?
Yes, I did. But they gave out too many reasons for the delay and even tried to sway me to buy other stuffs from them. Anyway, I give them 2 more days to ship the flash; if they don't then I'll complain to PayPal and Ebay .
06-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi guys,
You both seem to know a bit about it, and I was wondering if you could help me out:

Here's my story with the RF-603s. I bought the RF603-C because having used my Yongnuo YN-560 (version 1) on my mate's Canon camera, I figured that the hotshoes wouldn't be a problem, compatibility wise, I mean if a flash works on both a Pentax and a Canon, then it should work with a transceiver that is for Canon, right? That's what I thought at the time.
Anyway I have tried absolutely everything and I cannot get it to work. Unfortunately, the problem seems to be with my Pentax camera/Yongnuo non-intelligent flash, than with the trasceivers, because I can remote control the shutter, using the provided cable in the shutter cable socket and using the transceivers (came out weird but you guys get what I mean, I think.) In other words, they transmit and receive signals just fine, but they won't fire my flash.

The nearest I have got it to working is if I mount the transceiver on the camera BACKWARDS (so the thing sticks out over the LCD screen) then when I hit the shutter button, it does at least fire the light in GREEN, which means it gets that there is a signal. It doesn't happen if I mount it the correct way around. But even the wrong way around, the flash on the receiving end will not fire. Oh and yes, the channels are set to the same one.
Even hitting the test button on either transceiver, will not fire the flash on the other one...???

I am wondering - even though they are only $27, buying ANOTHER set makes them effectively $54, which I'm not so happy about, so I'm wondering - if I buy a NIKON set, and use a Nikon one as the TRANSMITTER (attached to my camera), will the Canon ones still work as RECEIVERS?
Or have I got it all wrong entirely and need to start over... (e.g. is the problem the flash being a non-intelligent one or something) Thanks, appreciate your help.
06-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #15

@Quazimoto
according to this video, they should work...