Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what alternative to pocket wizard?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi can any one suggest alternate brands to the excellent but pricey pocket wizard transceivers.?

I won't use them enough to justify the price of the pw kit but I do need the transever and channel functionality of the pw kit.

05-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yongnuo makes some cheap wireless flash triggers. There are also a lot of generic wireless triggers sold online under different names, just search ebay or amazon. Cowboy studio also sells some. And Cactus.
But keep in mind that if you buy generic no-name triggers they might not be as reliable. And not all work well with Pentax, but there are so many kinds.. I haven't seen any systematic tests done that would test them all on different systems and mark the differences.
05-31-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have not used PW, but currently own Cactus V5, PT-04, and Yongnuo RF-603N and all of them work well with Pentax. I have not checked and compared their maximum range, neither owned them long enough to know their quality in the long run, but when they are still pretty new now, they work flawlessly with my K-20D and K-30.

Last edited by Ken T; 05-31-2013 at 03:14 AM.
05-31-2013, 03:04 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I bought these recently:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009WKROPS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have only done a quick test to make sure they work and the flash fires which all went OK. Haven't had chance to test anything more such as range etc yet. Personally I'm a complete novice so just wanted something cheap and cheerful to play around with for now.

05-31-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
Forum Member

After reading numerous positive reviews, I've bought Cactus V5. They're supposed to be reliable and have a long range. Of course, no TTL info transmission.
05-31-2013, 03:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok lets be clear here I am not asking about wireless triggers to set off flashes but transceivers that will transmit and receive simultaneously via different channels as do the pocket wizzards

scenario: second camera on a tripod away from my location to look at subject from different angle, one flash next to me on stand,I press my shutter the transceiver triggers both the other camera and my flash that's what pw kit will do.

each unit will either transmit or receive that's why the pw units all look the same unlike the sort of kit suggested by thechumpen in a post above.
05-31-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
ok lets be clear here I am not asking about wireless triggers to set off flashes but transceivers that will transmit and receive simultaneously via different channels as do the pocket wizzards
Cactus V5's are your answer. I have two sets, so four total, and they have never failed me once. I haven't tested to their full range, but 10m indoors has never been an issue.

The cheapest I've seen is about $50 a set (what I bought them at last year), but you have to shop around, otherwise $65 is about the going rate per pair.

-Heie

05-31-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But keep in mind that if you buy generic no-name triggers they might not be as reliable.
My cheapo Yongnuo YN-04 II never failed me, only the batteries did.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Cactus V5's are your answer.
They're supposed to be excellent, indeed. A friend uses them and loves them.
05-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Forum Member

scenario: second camera on a tripod away from my location to look at subject from different angle, one flash next to me on stand,I press my shutter the transceiver triggers both the other camera and my flash that's what pw kit will do.

each unit will either transmit or receive that's why the pw units all look the same unlike the sort of kit suggested by thechumpen in a post above.
That's exactly what Cactuses do - you can use every unit either as a transmitter or a receiver (that's why they all look the same - the V5's I mean), and you can use them for remotely firing off flashes, or a camera shutter (although for that you have to buy some additional cable). I bought them from the manufacturer's website, the manufacturer is Gadget Infinity.
05-31-2013, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #10

unlike the sort of kit suggested by thechumpen in a post above
Ah right sorry, I misunderstood...
05-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just replaced a pair of Cactus 5's with a Flashwave III set (the Cactus transceiver blocked the shutter speed dial when mounted on my Fuji):
Flash Wave III Radio Trigger/Shutter Release Kit (2458) - Wex Photographic

This might be what you're looking for if you want something that's both functional and a bit posher than the el-cheapo triggers. You'll need two sets to remotely control a camera and a flash at the same time (one pair triggers the camera, the transmitter in the hotshoe triggers the flash).
05-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That probably won't work, by the way. If you trigger camera and flash simultaneously, they won't sync, because the flash will fire before the shutter opens. You'll need two transmitters / receivers on different channels unless (and for all I know this is true) a Pocketwizard is smart enough to to wait for a sync signal from the hotshoe to trigger the flash.
05-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Closed Account

Using Cowboy Studio PT04's, I spent the last 4 days, about 6 hours a day, triggering a pair of AB800's in a dance studio. Not the first time either. I've used them with Pentax and Yongnou flashes on outdoor shoots. Been at this for awhile. Have 4 rcvr's & 3 xmitters and I keep the batteries fresh, lots of redundancy. If you just want to fire lights, they work just fine.
05-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Sounds like you don't know that some remote triggers can manually control power as well. Look at Radiopopper's JrX Studio which I think is finally available in the UK. Remote control of older inexpensive speedlights and ABs. You can also do the PW TT system if you want to drop more money and need TTL.
06-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
You can also do the PW TT system if you want to drop more money and need TTL.
I thought they only work in TTL for Canon and Nikon, don't they? Here's a quote from the PW website: "With E-TTL II for Canon & CLS / i-TTL for Nikon capability, photographers have a reliable solution for off-camera TTL flash." No mention of Pentax at all. Also in their range of products they offer MiniTT1-Nikon/Canon and FlexTT5-Nikon/Canon. Not Pentax.