Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

10' x 12' vs 10' x 20' Backdrops

Hello, I've been looking into getting some backdrops (black, white, and possibly green) for a while and the biggest thing holding me back is that I don't know what size to order.

I know that I wouldn't do a lot of full-body shots (I don't have a studio, I'd mostly shoot in my living room, garage, and possibly other non-studio areas). What I really want to get is 10' x 20', but I feel like that is way too big for the limited space I would have most of the time. I feel like I should buy a 10' x 12' backdrop but I worry that if I ever do decide to do some full body shots, I won't have enough backdrop. Does anybody own any backdrops? If so, what size? What would you recommend? Also, any particular brand you would recommend? I don't own any backdrops or backdrop stands, so all advice is appreciated and welcome.

06-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Bigger is always better, you don't have to use it all, but you try and stretch one that's too wee.
06-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I recently bought this kit off amazon:

Amazon.com: Two Prism 10x20', 100% Cotton Muslin Backdrops and The Ravelli Full Size 10x12' Background Stand Set: Electronics

I only use 9' of the 12' wide background stand (The 10' wide background is really just over 9' wide). This allows me just enough material to clamp the material to the side poles, removing some of the wrinkles.

My first impressions are that 20' is a long backdrop but you can easily fold it under to shorten up the part on the floor. The backdrop materials of this kit are pretty well made and resist light bleed through from the back if it doesn't have a window directly behind them. The stands are wonderful and very sturdy.

Tim
06-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have any backdrops that were intended to be backdrops. Like you, I don't have any dedicated studio space. I use bookshelves, clamps, and bedsheets. I have black, white, and tan colored sheets. That's the very low budget option. I've used a white reflector as a studio backdrop on-the-go.

06-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
I don't have any backdrops that were intended to be backdrops. Like you, I don't have any dedicated studio space. I use bookshelves, clamps, and bedsheets. I have black, white, and tan colored sheets. That's the very low budget option. I've used a white reflector as a studio backdrop on-the-go.
Any recommendations on thread count for black sheets?
06-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Any recommendations on thread count for black sheets?
I'm not sure what thread count mine are. They're Walmart brand so they probably aren't anything too fancy. It's T-shirt material, whatever that's really called. You do have to watch out for dust and lint. It's easily cloned out in processing, or you can spend a few minutes on it with a lint brush (but you'll still probably end up cloning out missed pieces anyways). Sheets, bookshelves, and http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Muslin-Clamps-inch/dp/B004AZ38Z0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371476227&sr=8-1&keywords=photography+clamps]clamps like these.

EDIT: I think I bump up the black level a little bit (I believe that would be moving the left histogram slider to the right) and I think that will take care of any unevenness in the background for black sheets. I say "I think" because I've been favoring white backgrounds recently. I love the black background, but having black hair and having kids with nearly black hair...
06-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a white 10x12 and a black 10x24. 10x12 is a bit short in many situations, you cannot cover enough of the floor with it.

24 is ludicrously huge. I think 20 would be a fine format.