Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #1

Triggering your flash

Hello

Just got me a Blitz mecablitz 52 af-1 and am ready to dive into flash photography with my K5II

Just a quick question though, I know i can trigger using wireless triggers but I read that I can also trigger using infra red (when in clear sight obviously) or with the pop-up flash. Is this true? Won't the pop up flash mess up my lighting then? Or is there a delay?

Any help is much appreciated!

Benny

06-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can indeed trigger it with the pop-up flash.
You need to set the camera and the flash to P-TTL wireless with the same channel.

I don't own the flash so no idea how to do that.
06-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks!

Will look into that!
06-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

From the body side, wireless P-TTL should be well-described in the K5ii user's manual. It is for the K-5, but I don't have the K5ii so I can't quote you the page number.

There is also a menu option to configure the on-board flash as either a Master, or merely a Controller. Master means both the on-board flash and your off-camera flash will light your subject. Controller means that the on-board flash will signal the off-camera flash, but only the off-camera flash will light your subject. (Well it's not really 100%, some of the on-board flash will also light the subject.)

06-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

It looks like the the Mecablitz is TTL-capable, so you can follow Tanzer & Anvh's advice. If you want to manually control your off camera flash(es) for creative effect (or if the off camera strobes are non-TTL) you can still use your on camera flash to trigger the others without any major negative effect. Just ensure that you turn OFF the TTL on your on camera flash and turn the power of your on camera flash all the way down. The TTL pre-flashes will prematurely trigger your off camera speedlight(s). Also, with the power on the on-camera flash on the way down, it should not interfere with the other lights if they are bright enough. I don't have a K5ii, but it sound like you may be able to use the controller mode to trigger the off camera flashes as long as a) the off camera flashes are set in TTL mode also, or b) the on camera flash is not in TTL mode and firing pre-flashes that will make the others go off early. Hope this helps!
06-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kromwell Quote
It looks like the the Mecablitz is TTL-capable, so you can follow Tanzer & Anvh's advice. If you want to manually control your off camera flash(es) for creative effect (or if the off camera strobes are non-TTL) you can still use your on camera flash to trigger the others without any major negative effect. Just ensure that you turn OFF the TTL on your on camera flash and turn the power of your on camera flash all the way down. The TTL pre-flashes will prematurely trigger your off camera speedlight(s). Also, with the power on the on-camera flash on the way down, it should not interfere with the other lights if they are bright enough. I don't have a K5ii, but it sound like you may be able to use the controller mode to trigger the off camera flashes as long as a) the off camera flashes are set in TTL mode also, or b) the on camera flash is not in TTL mode and firing pre-flashes that will make the others go off early. Hope this helps!
You can not turn P-TTL off with the internal camera flash...
06-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nor can you manually adjust or "compensate" the power level of the on-board flash, unfortunately.

06-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Nor can you manually adjust or "compensate" the power level of the on-board flash, unfortunately.
Actually there is EV flash compensation and that work with wireless P-TTL was well

Can into the menu where you can select the type of flash, (red eye, second shutter, ect.) and you can change the EV compensation for the flash and the camera remebers that.