Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Getting started in off camera flash

sorry if there are good threads already (I didnt find them) but happy to be redirected

my experiments with on-camera flash are now limiting the quality of my portrait (and macro) work. Impromptu portrait images improved dramatically when I read Neil van Niekirks book but I now feel it it time to tinker with off camera flash

right now I have K10D with a couple of good MF portrait lenses, AF280T (only 2 manual settings), a Rogue and some reflectors. Also am in the process of tracking down a cheap 500FTZ (plenty of manual settings) to improve the control I have over my existing flash. Being a bit 'old school' I seem to end up doing stuff manually rather than trusting the camera to do AF and AE

but I am clueless about what I 'need' to get the flash off the camera (and dont seem to be able to get a decent resource to guide me, yet) and what else I need to think about

where would people suggest I start and what kit is worth starting with, eg how to trigger off camera stuff? do I buy a lamp/reflector kit? can I buy another cheap AF280T (or some AF200Ts) and stick then on a stand?

low cost is good but I don't want to waste money by buying tat

EDIT, to clarify from jatrax feedback/comment I do know the basics I am clueless about which specific bits of Pentax gubbins I 'need', which bits of other brand stuff it worth it and which things are best avoided. Also, I am heading to using cheap legacy Pentax flashes as they are cheap in the UK but didnt want to bias answers if there is a better way

thanks in advance folks

Last edited by LittleSkink; 06-19-2013 at 08:59 AM.
06-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here you go: Strobist: Lighting 101
This site is home base for off camera hot shoe flash work.
06-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks jatrax, to clarify I have had a look in Strobist and it has helped - one question in my head was what other perspectives might there be on this

I am pretty unclear what bits of kit work well with K10 - and also interested in what others have or use successfully, eg my AF280 will only do full power or 1/12 and I am finding that frustrating, AF200T has less power but lots of manual setttings, 500FTZ has plenty of power and settings but is it too much?
06-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use 3 AF200T flashes because of the manual settings. They are not high power but have lots of fine control. Good for table top, fill, hair light.

I also use a Nikon SB-26 which has a built in slave trigger.

For triggers I use Cactus v5 radio triggers and optical slave triggers. Usually the radio trigger is on one of the AF200Ts and then optical slave triggers on the other AF200Ts and the SB 26.

I also have a Flashpoint studio strobe with a softbox that I use as the main light in most cases. When I use it the radio trigger goes on it and optical slaves on all the others.

You can substitute a hard wire from the camera to one of the flashes if you don't want to mess with radio triggers, but IMHO the radio ones are the way to go. They do cost money but it's worth it.

06-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May I suggest reading through the Strobist 101 and 102 blog lessons? It is a bit tiresome but really everything you need to know about off camera flash is there. For specific equipment questions, just ask here.

The important thing to remember is that triggering the flash is simple, it is just making an electrical connection. Once you go 'off camera' it is all old school manual whether you are using hot shoe flashes or studio strobes. And there are many, many ways to achieve that electrical signal. Some expensive, some cheap, some reliable, some not so much.

I would start with a good pair of radio triggers and build from there. I use Cactus v5 but other brands are available.
06-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks jatrax,

good to hear that AF200T are useful, was on the lookout anyhow for Macro. I can easily get 2 minters for a lot less than 1 AF500FTZ in UK

now being in UK seems to add complexity - stuff like Cactus and the LP605 stands on Strobist just dont seem to be available here

so what do the UK guys use?

UPDATE - ok so what kit is easily got in UK?
Well I see on Amazon/Ebay lots of Chinese wireless setups from £15 up to near £90 for a 2 receiver kit - ok reviews, but "good for the price" isnt reassuring and a big price spread
As to stands, again Amazon/Ebay have a wodge of cheap stuff - so again really appreciate any credible user feedback

Last edited by LittleSkink; 06-19-2013 at 10:51 AM.
06-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't have a lot of experience (and none with radio triggers) but I have had good experiences using a simple wired hotshoe connection for triggering my main off-camera flash, and optical triggers for the others. Obviously (or not so obviously), the other flashes can be obscured by any add-ons which you might want to use (such as a softbox) in front of the optical sensor.

It would be nice if someone carried a wired hotshoe "hub" that could safely fire multiple speedlights. There are some very simple PC sync port hubs out there, but at least one manufacturer recommends not connecting flash units of different brands, since their voltages and impedances may differ, creating current loops and draining power. Ideally there would be a way to electrically isolate the flash units, without spending lots of money on the RF triggers, or dealing with the limitations of optical triggers, but I haven't figured this out yet.