Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

P-TTL Function With Flash Bracket?

I've wanted to use a bracket for off-camera flash for a while now. I currently have a K-30, Metz 50 Flash, Cactus V5 flash triggers, and this flash bracket:

Amazon.com: Heavy Duty Photography L Bracket with 2 Standard Flash Hot Shoe Mounts: Camera & Photo

I know that I can use the radio triggers and the flash in manual mode, but is there any way to keep P-TTL functionality while it's mounted on the bracket? I know that there are hot shoe adapters out there, but I don't know if they're used to keep P-TTL or even TTL. Can I use my current triggers? Thanks.

06-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not sure with your flash, but with the Pentax AF540 FGZ (and previously with the AF500FTZ) there is a cable extension of the hot shoe (Off-Camera Shoe Adaptor F), that plugs into the flash to allow off camera but still wired to the flash.

with the *istD, you could also use the built in flash to trigger the AF540FGZ or AF360FGZ as a wireless slave flash even for high speed sync, sadly, this option was discontinued on later bodies
06-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You cannot use your radio triggers; that is, they won't magically become P-TTL capable because of the bracket.

You need these little (expensive) buggers:
- F5P (short), or maybe F5P (long);
- Hot shoe adapter FG, or maybe hot shoe adapter FG; and
- Off camera shoe adapter F

I seem to recall seeing some generic integrated cables with adapter ends on Adorama.
06-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
You cannot use your radio triggers; that is, they won't magically become P-TTL capable because of the bracket.

You need these little (expensive) buggers:
- F5P (short), or maybe F5P (long);
- Hot shoe adapter FG, or maybe hot shoe adapter FG; and
- Off camera shoe adapter F

I seem to recall seeing some generic integrated cables with adapter ends on Adorama.
Yeah, I wasn't thinking the bracket had magical powers or anything. I just didn't know if connecting the triggers with a cable, instead of using them wirelessly, could allow some sort of ttl or pttl capability. I'm assuming that won't work.

I did see that Aputure sells this product. Seems to be a knock off of the adapters that Pentax sells.

Amazon.com: Aputure Pro-Grade TTL Off-Camera Hot-Shoe Flash Sync Cable for Pentax Digital SLRs, Pentax *ist DS, DS2, D, DL, DL2, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K100D Super, K-5, K-7, K-30, K-r, K-x, K-m, (K-m A.K.A. K2000), K-01 and Pentax AF 360 F

(before anyone assumes I think Aputure also include a K100 with the purchase of the cable/adapters, I know they don't)

06-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Yeah, I wasn't thinking the bracket had magical powers or anything. I just didn't know if connecting the triggers with a cable, instead of using them wirelessly, could allow some sort of ttl or pttl capability. I'm assuming that won't work.
Sorry I misunderstood. I don't have any RF triggers, but my understanding from following the threads is that they are all manual, no P-TTL.

There is also the Aokatec triggers, but those kinda cheat because they don't actually do regular P-TTL. Rather, they just proxy the optical Wireless P-TTL signal over an RF connection. Normal P-TTL just fires one preflash, and then one main flash, through your hotshoe. Wireless P-TTL adds a bunch of signal flashes between the controller and remote in addition to the preflash and main flash -- and yes, with the Aokatec units, you do have to use your pop-up flash (or another hotshoe-mounted flash) as a controller.

Wireless P-TTL flash sequences are really fast, but I could almost swear that I can tell the difference between the time it takes to fire a Wireless P-TTL shot, vs. a normal P-TTL shot. Not sure if I am right, or if it is all in my head.

I did see that Aputure sells this product. Seems to be a knock off of the adapters that Pentax sells.
Yeah, that looks like just the ticket! I might have to get one of those myself.
06-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Amazon.com: Aputure Pro-Grade TTL Off-Camera Hot-Shoe Flash Sync Cable for Pentax Digital SLRs, Pentax *ist DS, DS2, D, DL, DL2, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K100D Super, K-5, K-7, K-30, K-r, K-x, K-m, (K-m A.K.A. K2000), K-01 and Pentax AF 360 F

(before anyone assumes I think Aputure also include a K100 with the purchase of the cable/adapters, I know they don't)
I have that same flash cord and it works perfectly fine in P-TTL mode.