Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can somebody explain me difference between Slave and Servo modes on Metz flash

I updated my Metz 58 AF-1 digital firmware from 3.0 to 5.0, aded servo mode in flash functions.
Whats the difference between slave and servo modes?

06-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #2

Slave supports PTTL optical - ie: the camera pre-flash sends the exposure info.

Servo is "dumb" slave - ie it the flash ignores the camera pre-flash and as such, the flash exposure must be set manually.

Last edited by Adinfinitum; 06-20-2013 at 10:37 PM.
06-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote

Servo is "dumb" slave - ie it the flash ignores the camera pre-flash and as such, the flash exposure must be set manually.
what i actually thought
Thank you (:
06-20-2013, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote

That's almost correct. Servo mode is "smart" slave mode because it ignores the preflash. "Dumb" slave mode is what you would get with a traditional optical slave, a simple photocell that sends a signal to fire every time it sees a pulse of light.

Dumb slave mode works great with manual flashes such as studio strobes, but a "smart" optical slave will sit there waiting for a second flash that isn't going to come. Unfortunately at this time, Metz only has the option for preflash suppression, so if you want to trigger your 58 optically with a manual flash, you will need to get a separate external optical slave, or another wireless receiver.

On the other hand if you want to trigger the Metz with an on-camera pTTL flash, you're in luck because you can do that now. Whereas before the flash gun would be fooled into firing too soon and therefore it would be in the processes of recycling when the exposure-making flash occurred.

06-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks
"smart" slave is what i will certainly use in my work (: