Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flash for weddings with K5 & K5II

Not long ago I was shooting weddings with a pair of D7000's. Never was totally happy with them, mostly an ergonomic thing. At any rate, I decided to try out Pentax since K5 series is similar to what I had in Nikon, but fixes my personal issues that I had w/Nikon. I do like the files a bit better as well so far.

Last think I need to complete my new kit for now is flash. I bought a Yongnuo YN-560 III a couple weeks ago. Could help but to try one at their prices. It does seem like a real nice flash, and not difficult to use.

Never had to learn much about flash before. With Nikon I had the Nikon SB-700's, they worked great and it was a painless lighting solution. All you need to do was turn it on in TTL, and Nikon systems are great at taking care of the rest. I have to admit I like having the Yongnuo YN-560 III to make myself learn how to properly use the flash. However, with that said, the full manual flash is not going to cut it for Wedding work for me. I need some automation to not be caught off guard and keep from missing some of those more decisive moments. This leads me to the Metz 58 af-2, seems like a good way to go.

Looking at reviews on the Metz 58 lead me to also discover the Metz 52. Not sure how much I would like the touch screen on the 52, but I like that it is $100.00 cheaper and probably more compact. Any way, can anyone say is it really worth the $100 to get the 58 over the 52? On paper, they don't seem like they are really that fair off from each other, but not experienced enough with flash to judge if the difference is much in actual use. I don't want to spend extra$$ where it isn't need these days, but I don't to be let down while on the job either.

I know that Pentax isn't exactly on par with Nikon in the flash dept., but from what I read these Metz play the best w/ the K5 series. Anything really better to consider?

07-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just my simple opinion. I don't trust TTL for weddings or events. I use manual flash so i have control. I will use bounce flash whenever I have a white surface so need full power anyway. I am disappointed with my pentax flash as i can't seem to replicate settings. I use sigma which are ok. Metz might be better.

The flash I often use on a flash bracket with a dedicated cable. I usually have a softbox on the flash and sometimes use a second flash to bounce of the ceiling.

What ever setup you prefer as long as it is second nature to you when you are on the job. By biggest problem is not checking my shots often enough.
07-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think that manual is probably the ticket. Just never had to with Nikon, so I didn't really learn. Flash TTL might be the one short fall with Pentax, but easily fixed by mastering manual flash.

One question. With the Yongnuo YN-560 III you need to manual adjust the flash focal length setting as you zoom in and out. I don't think this flash communicates with the camera at all. If this one issue was automated I would be happy I think. Do other manual flashes like this have the same issue? What do others do about it? Do you leave the focal length setting on the flash set to the longest focal length of the zoom lens and forget about it? Ok, that was more than one question.
07-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For zoom, unless the flash can communicate with the camera, you control the zoom yourself. For my own experience, I tend to bounce a manual flash on my K-5 (and my K-x before that) and use the zoom to control the amount of area lit by the flash, rather than use the zoom function in correlation to my lens choice. As far as I know, only PTTL flashes such as Pentax's own flashes, Metz flashes and recent Sigma flashes will zoom for you.
As for what focal length to use, here's how I see it: when bouncing, go wide if you want to have a larger area lit and have things be generally lit; go tele if you want to highlight your subject from the background. If I want to just set-and-forget, assuming the roof doesn't change height, I'll just set the zoom to the widest setting, point the head up, find my exposure and keep it there. I'll then use my shutter speed to control ambient light and/or motion blur. Here's an example of what I got using that technique:

07-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very nice. I'm sure I could get the hang of that quickly enough. Just need the practice to gain confidence. Maybe a couple more Yongnuo YN-560 III flashes will be all I really need.

Any suggestion on a good flash cable for putting it on the bracket? I do prefer a cable with the ability to work with TTL flashes though incase I do get a Metz or something. All I have right now are the ones for the Nikon I will have to sell.
07-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by moresnowdays Quote
Any suggestion on a good flash cable for putting it on the bracket? I do prefer a cable with the ability to work with TTL flashes though incase I do get a Metz or something. All I have right now are the ones for the Nikon I will have to sell.
Pentax makes a dedicated cable, otherwise browse eBay to see Chinese knock-offs.

If you want TTL, The Pentax AF540 is the logical choice, but it's also expensive. Sigma's 610 Super is quite good (I've owned a previous version) and quite reliable. I find Pentax's menu system easier to use in general (except for wireless PTTL vs optical slave which is a pain to remember since both modes are simply labelled Slave 1 and Slave 2).